Stock GS1100E vs. Aftermarket Modified GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock GS1100E vs. Aftermarket Modified GS1100E

I guess that I should ask to be on that show on television called Mythbusters. I had a stock GS1100E that I bought for the engine and not only could I not tear apart a perfectly good bike I hit some financially trying times and sold it on Ebay.

Most of you know that I also have my modified GS1100E, as described in my forum signature. I've ridden both now, stock and modified, and let me tell you that MY GS1100E has such better acceleration and power that there just wasn't any contest. I gave the stock one the juice and it felt so restricted it was quite disheartening.

I had to get on my bike just to feel better. Getting on my bike almost always makes me feel better though. There just wasn't any comparison, even if I took the RS36 Flat Slides off and put the jet kitted stock carbs back on MY GS1100E would still pull stronger and get away from the stock bike.

I've heard arguments for stock being better; for aftermarket modified being better and for there not being any difference. The case is closed in my book. The combination of a better flowing exhaust, better flowing intake and better air filtration achieved aftermarket just can't be touched by a stock bike. That's just common sense though.

Damn I love that bike!
    Last edited by Guest; 12-07-2006, 09:57 PM.

Originally posted by Guyver View Post
    I guess that I should ask to be on that show on television called Mythbusters. I had a stock GS1100E that I bought for the engine and not only could I not tear apart a perfectly good bike I hit some financially trying times and sold it on Ebay.

Most of you know that I also have my modified GS1100E, as described in my forum signature. I've ridden both now, stock and modified, and let me tell you that MY GS1100E has such better acceleration and power that there just wasn't any contest. I gave the stock one the juice and it felt so restricted it was quite disheartening.

I had to get on my bike just to feel better. Getting on my bike almost always makes me feel better though. There just wasn't any comparison, even if I took the RS36 Flat Slides off and put the jet kitted stock carbs back on MY GS1100E would still pull stronger and get away from the stock bike.

I've heard arguments for stock being better; for aftermarket modified being better and for there not being any difference. The case is closed in my book. The combination of a better flowing exhaust, better flowing intake and better air filtration achieved aftermarket just can't be touched by a stock bike. That's just common sense though.

Damn I love that bike!

I hear you man.

If you can make an already great bike even better, why not mod it up?

I have the feeling that my GS1000E is gonna handle just a wee bit better when I'm finished with my mods - new 2004 Gixxer front end, radials front and back, a set of Ohlins in the back, and brakes that actually work.

The mods so far:

Last edited by Guest; 12-08-2006, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Guyver wrote:
      Damn I love that bike!
      Me too!!! Awesome bike there Guyver!!!8) :mrgreen:

Comment

I run RS34s on my 700 with a Yosh Duplex with some mild porting. The bike is still civil around town, but when I hammer it the revs climb way quicker than stock. It still pulls strong way past redline. One day when I have room in the garage I'll do the topend again with some Cosworths and V&H cams I have on the shelf. That along with a lightened 750 crank and it's going to scream.

Comment

1100E's just rule no matter what. I bought mine with a jet kit, D&D pipe, pod filters and a V&H header. It screamed. I went to great lengths to get it back to stock for the nostalgia, or whatever... it's nowhere near as fast as it was, but I can still hang with the big boys. It puts 100 hp to the ground in stock form, and that is no slouch. I went from 36-38 mpg to about 44-46 mpg back to stock. That means I have a range of over 200 miles, and sport touring is what I like to do, so it's a good move for me. If I want to go fast I'll ride the FZ1.

The beauty of these 1100's is that they are bulletproof. As we all know, you can throw another 30-40 hp into the things and they won't even flinch. Plus the design is pretty timeless, they still look good even today.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The difference between the two bikes must seem like night and day.....keep in mind that going to the 4X1/ pods and the PM wheels have taken a good 45lbs off your 1100 vs. stock. I have'nt had a chance to ride an11E with flatslide carbs, but riding my friends E (running gixxer 36mm Mikunis/pods) shows a huge difference in throttle response over my bike (stock re-jetted carbs with 4X1)....it just feels faster everywhere ....a bone stock bike must seem pretty sedate in comparison. Also, the auditory excitement with a 4x1 should not be underestimated.....that wonderful howl @6grand makes for some pretty satisfying numbers on the 'seat-of-the-pants' dyno\\/ .

Tony.
            '82 GS1100E

Comment

Definately made a difference in mine...went from stock to a mac 4 into 1 header and Holeshot can and a stage 1 jet kit. I run outta rpm's much quicker (not to mention that the Holeshot can just howls--no other way to describe that sound!!! The weight difference was just shy of 30lbs just by dropping the stock exhaust. \\/
              Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

I would love to ride a complete stock 1100E just to see the difference from mine. When I got mine it already had engine mods, 33mm smoothbores, Fox shocks, aftermarket brakes and magnesium wheels. The only bad thing about going the modified route is that they get alittle tempermental (carbs!). I will be leaving for a vacation to Afganastan for awhile so I started trying to clean mine up and have since taken the wheels off to be painted so upon my return she will be ready to ride (maybe even give her a new paint job when I return). Where did you get the PM Chicane wheels?

Comment

Performance Machine Wheels

Uneeda,

The wheels came on the bike when I got it. I didn't know what they were just that I liked them. Since then I have found out how rare they are and hard to come by. I was really fortunate in getting them with the bike. I saw one front wheel on Ebay last week; however, they don't come up for sale in the right size that often. ~Gene

Comment

hey guyver first let me say your bike looks great i'm picking up a '82 1100 same color as yours in 2 weeks!!! it has the stock carbs on it but he has a set of mikuni's with the filters that i just hav to install myself also there is already a v+h exhaust on it.Now my ques. in order to put 17" wheels on the bike are there any mods to be done other than getting the appropriate size wheel. also he has a gas tank from an'83 and an extra side panel that he is throwing along with a service manuel in a binder bike is documented with receipts and paper work...cant wait will post pics after i get it in my garage.

Comment

Jolly,

My bike came with the Performance Machine Chicanes already on it. The brakes and such are all stock so I believe, at least with this style wheel, that you will only need to swap out the wheels. My front is an 18 x 3.5 with a 110 tire and my rear is a 18 x 4.5, which barely fits in the stock swingarm with a 150/70/18 tire. I thought the rear was a 17 but I just went and looked and it's an 18.

How much did you get your bike for and what kind of extra carbs are you getting? Stock the bike has CV Mikunis. The RS series is a Flat Slide and you will need a push/pull throttle for them if that's what he is giving you with the bike. The stock throttle is pull only. Post some pics when you get that bike! ~Gene

Comment

thanks for the response,im paying 2 grand for it and it only has 16,000 miles on it(my busa has 17,000 miles and its an '02,) the carbs are slide drafts just not sure on the size though,the owner is a friend of mine and he has always taken great care of it so when he said he was selling it i jumped on the chance,i will post pics as soon as i can...jollyman outta here

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                          ....a bone stock bike must seem pretty sedate in comparison.

Tony.
                          The last thing I would call my now bone stock 1100E at anything north of 7000 rpm would be "sedate." Even in comparison. I did my transformation back to stock in a single day, so I got to experience the power differential right away. No doubt it is faster with the mods- my GPS speed test showed 138 mph max with the mods, now stock it is way, way, way, way, WAY down to a top speed of only 132 mph. What a dog! Maybe I should just take that lame horse out back and shoot it! 132 mph will never do!
                          Currently bikeless
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Oops....I seemed to have touched a nerve here...let me apologize. I did;nt mean anything personal....the Guyver put forth an opinion, and I was inclined to agree, having ridden a 'massaged' 1100 back to back with another one that was almost stock.....FWIW, I did'nt wind either of them up to the rpm range that you mentioned (7000-9000) due to the speed limits in town, but undeniably the modified bike was way quicker and would be perhaps even stronger at high revs than stock due to the aftermarket cams. The level of mods were probably more radical than your machine (not sure but I think you were running a pipe/pods without aftermarket carbs/ cams etc), and in addition this bike had shed some serious avoirdupois(to the extent of running only 1 mirror!). As they say, its all relative...the throttle response with semi-flat or flat slide carbs is sooo much better than our stock carbed 1100's that they probably make the stock bikes seem a bit sluggish in comparison. Again, no offence intended.

Tony.
                            '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                              Oops....I seemed to have touched a nerve here...let me apologize.
                              Oh no, not at all, just making a point that in stock condition, these bikes are still crazy fast. No need to apologize, believe me.:-D

I was just being sarcastic, as usual. Forgot my asterisk!
                              Currently bikeless

Comment

Working...
                              X