No announcement yet.

Ever had your bike dyno'ed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to run an FF40 on the street back in the 80s. It was a lot of fun. I don't remember it being a terror to ride. It did make the front end a little light which only added to the riding pleasures. This was a stock 1100 bore as well.

You are right though, now days its race only and that is about the only place I see them used anymore. I ride my bike back from the end of the track, but that is about it (aside from a few driveway and side road tests now and then). It seems very driveable for that mile or so. LOL I don't know of anyone using an E turbin, even on the big engines.

I envy you guys taking on the megasquirt. It think it would be way too much for me to tinker with. The bike would never make it out of the garage.

Comment

Dyno-ed mine a couple of years ago to dial in a set of RS38s. Got a reading of 119 hp after they adjusted the needles and accelerator pump, but unfortunately the shop never gave me the torque #s.

The bike is a 82 1100 which I bought new in 84. Has Dyna Ign & coils, Yosh 1135 pistons,Yosh Stage I cams, Yosh header, the head is lightly ported with what the shop (HMP) called a Street port. I thought that was decent # for a bike thats more than 20 years old and with more than 70K miles on the ODO at the time. Now has 98K.

I noticed the current Yosh 1135 Katana pushes out 150 hp wonder if thats at the crank vs my number at the rear wheel?

I'm doing a total re-work with GSXR forks, Bandit swingarm and a NOS body now.

All bad investments of course, you have to love the old school looks cause you can buy something similar to a used gen 1 FZ1 Yamaha (my other bike) with 120 hp for $3500 and it will run circles around the GS. My problem is once I fall in love with them I can't part with them. Gonna start working on my root beer colored 74 Kaw Z1 after the GS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaptain Ketchup View Post
        158hp @ 10psi last time we checked this summer.

Winter is here and it's time for fuel injection.... Going to try to bring it past 200hp and settle in to the 15 psi range.
        Whoo-boy!
        Wild ride!

Comment

Turbo

This is my Turbo'ed bike , only one problem riding this bike you get a real bad case of gotta go fast . Like i got more go then stopping space this thing is stupid fast . Took it it to Irwindale 1/8 mile was real hard to hook up so was content to do 1/8 mile burn out's but did it to do a 5:90 at 116 spinning the baloney . The lock up kinda killed my shifting had to back off too shift . How do i make the pic's bigger or i guess that would small enough to fit the file to here
          Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2006, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Checker, you have posted a pic. of that bike before. I remember seeing it somewhere. It's a really good looking machine.

5.90s in the 1/8 is not slow in my book. Imagine if you could get some traction.

Comment

I have a 1980 gs1100L with pods 140 dynojet mains, and V and H exhaust. The rest is completely stock. The dyno operator said that he had his dyno set on the conservative side too! I think that's pretty damn good for a 26 year old bike!

Comment

Dyno'ed

We made 225 HP to the rear wheel small turbo rides like it has carbs no lag just get's in on . Going around the traffic circle got on the gas leaving the round about spinning the baloney and what do i see a black in white at car cash the blue suit with his book out . He see me smoking the tire i see his lips moving , just shake his head and goes back too writing in his book . Like i said stupid fast . I can't even think how the new sporties that are turbo making 500-600 HP's could be much fun way to much HP's . LOL well you know never to thin and never enough ------ LoL

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs1100 View Post
                  I have a 1980 gs1100L with pods 140 dynojet mains, and V and H exhaust. The rest is completely stock. The dyno operator said that he had his dyno set on the conservative side too! I think that's pretty damn good for a 26 year old bike!
                  What was your horsepower figure?

Comment

Originally posted by checkerflag View Post
                    We made 225 HP to the rear wheel small turbo rides like it has carbs no lag just get's in on . I can't even think how the new sporties that are turbo making 500-600 HP's could be much fun way to much HP's . LOL well you know never to thin and never enough ------ LoL
                    That is a lot of power. I am not getting quite that much with my drag bike. I am closer to what the Kaptains numbers are with my last setup.

Have a friend who is talking 200 from his Busa drag bike and planning to up it. Too crazy for me.

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs1100 View Post
                      96 horsepower

Comment

Hi

The GS1100L (1980) had
                        100 hp & 105 ps on the crank....

Comment

Bumping an old thread.... :-D

How helpful is it to run your bike on a dyno to get your carb setup taken care of? I'm now running running K&N pods, a Dynojet jet kit, and a V&H 4 into 1, and it needs some tuning work. If setting up the bike on a dyno can get the jetting right throughout the rev range, without a whole bunch of trial and error, it may be worth the $$$. What do you think?
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2007, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                            I noticed the current Yosh 1135 Katana pushes out 150 hp wonder if thats at the crank vs my number at the rear wheel?
                            Must be at the crank. You'd need a MUCH bigger engine to get 150 at the wheel.
                            It must be about 130-135 at the rear wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                              Bumping an old thread.... :-D

How helpful is it to run your bike on a dyno to get your carb setup taken care of? I'm now running running K&N pods, a Dynojet jet kit, and a V&H 4 into 1, and it needs some tuning work. If setting up the bike on a dyno can get the jetting right throughout the rev range, without a whole bunch of trial and error, it may be worth the $$$. What do you think?
                              My engine builder Rick Stetson at HMP did a great job of getting my bike in the ball park using an exhaust gas anyliser to set it up conservatively (rich) in his shop but he advised me to dyno tune it to make sure it wasn't too lean at higher RPMs. It took the dyno shop about 30 minutes to dial it in. They were able to adjust needles to a leaner position and verify that air/fuel mixture was close to perfect. I was at 111 hp on the first run when I got there and 119 after their adjustments. Of course the skill level of the dyno shop will be key. I think it cost me about $150. Was worth it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvermachine81 View Post
                                Must be at the crank. You'd need a MUCH bigger engine to get 150 at the wheel.
                                It must be about 130-135 at the rear wheel?
                                I'm pretty sure your right that 150hp would be at the crank for an older GS design @ 1135cc without a turbo. Although I'm not sure I would bet against Yoshimura they may be able to do it.

I would have said that you would need a more "efficient" engine than a bigger engine, since current GSXR750 and 1000s are pushing around 150 / 168 at rear wheel.

Comment

Working...
                                X