Hydraulic clutch lever on a GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydraulic clutch lever on a GS?

Has anyone fitted a hydraulic clutch lever and cable on a GS? One of the really nice features on newer bikes is the fact that the clutch lever is hydraulic - a lot easier to pull in the clutch, plus it's self-adjusting.

I was thinking of this a while back because I wanted to use a clutch cover made for a drag bike and it has no clutch arm mechanism. I was told that the clutch can be operated from the other side of the engine by a push rod, similar I believe to a GS750. I did get some info from a member on the oldskoolsuzuki site who had done this but unfortunately had no pictures of the conversion.
    This is the side casing that I wanted to use :-

The easiest way to do it on a stock engine is to use a kit from Magura, they are mainly for dirt bikes but because they are made to replace a clutch cable you can adapt them to most applications.

Cheers,
    Mark...

Comment

Not quite sure what kind of set up your talking about with a pushrod on the other side, but it sounds like a kawasaki kz setup. Don't think it'll work on an GS11.
      I'd guess the MTC cover is for a slider drag clutch. Work like a minibike centrifugal clutch. Just gas it and go

Comment

I was told that there is a gallery made into the cases that is blanked off with alloy slugs that can be drilled out. This can then be used to operate the clutch. You are correct about the cover, I mistakenly bought it from ebay after far too much beer. It should be like driving, don't drink & buy ;-)

Mark...

Comment

Cheers for that. I'll check out Magura.

Originally posted by pan View Post
          The easiest way to do it on a stock engine is to use a kit from Magura, they are mainly for dirt bikes but because they are made to replace a clutch cable you can adapt them to most applications.

Cheers,
          Mark...

Comment

Wow, those hydraulic Magura clutch cable/lever replacements look great and must make pulling in the clutch much easier. Thanks for the info!

Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2006, 06:23 AM.

Comment

If you fancy a challenge.............

A similar discussion is going on over on the oldskool site. I cut & pasted this from the bloke that did the conversion that I referred to earlier in this thread.

Its quite easy really… Although you will have to split the cases…..

The gearbox input shaft already has a hole bored in it that is blanked of with a small alloy bung at the clutch end
              Once you have knocked it out you will need to have the clutch end bored out larger to make room for the clutch pusher from a GS750
              Items 15 / 16 /17 here http://alpha-sports.com/spst/1978%20GS750/09.htm or from a later oil broiler..

You will also need a push rod and seal arrangement like a GS750 Items 1 / 2 /3 as shown here http://alpha-sports.com/spst/1978%20GS750/08.htm

Whac the cases back together…and graft a slave cylinder from a gixer on to the sprocket cover….

I actually had an out-rigger plate made up and used a nice small Ducati one …

Problem areas are push rod is very close to chain on gearbox sprocket when using a 630 chain so a change to 530 may be in order…

Some of the GS 750 bits are no longer available..

I had problems with oil leaking from the push rod ….But put that down to the extra pressure from the lock up causing the push rod to spin at high RPM…

Comment

Originally posted by pan View Post
                bought it from ebay after far too much beer. It should be like driving, don't drink & buy ;-)

Mark...
                Been there, done that 8-[
                Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                2000 Kawasaki Concours
                Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Working...
                X