Exhaust cam on intake side????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust cam on intake side????

I've got an 83 1100e, a friend of mine who was a motorcycle mechanic and knows a lot about bikes told me that "back in the day" they used to put an exhaust cam on the intake side of those bikes for performance gains. Has anyone ever heard of this? He has always been straight up with me and his advice has always been great, so I have no reason to doubt him, but I wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone else has done it. If so, what was the result?

Originally posted by onedirtyhat View Post
    I've got an 83 1100e, a friend of mine who was a motorcycle mechanic and knows a lot about bikes told me that "back in the day" they used to put an exhaust cam on the intake side of those bikes for performance gains. Has anyone ever heard of this? He has always been straight up with me and his advice has always been great, so I have no reason to doubt him, but I wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone else has done it. If so, what was the result?
    Never heard of this one.......

NO thanks, I like my valvetrain just the ways it is...... Camshafts have ultra close tolerences, and precisely break-in to its initial, new mating components. You go suddenly "swapping" cams around thousands of miles later, and all's I think you will end up with is a trashed engine top end....

Comment

On a GSX600 you can use a 750 intake cam and a 1000 cam on exhaust

On a GSXR750 you can use a 1000 intake cam and a 1000 exhaust cam

On a GSXR1000 you can use a 600 intake cam on the exhaust.

You can even do it on the Busa

You can try all sorts of different cams just look at the listings from mega or cam motion, must be 50 different types.

The biggest things to check is valve to piston clearence, rocker arm clearence and coil bind if you do any swap.

Also if you get alittle greedy if could bite you
      Last edited by RacingJake; 12-10-2006, 10:34 AM.
      1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
      1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
      1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
      1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
      01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

:-D I have used the oil cooled GSXR 1100 and 750 cams in my 1999 600 bandit . I did not see much power gais til I swapped the ignition module to a 1994 RF-600 unit to let it rev to 13,500 rpm LOL!!!

Comment

That would really hurt performance. The exhaust cam is smaller than the intake cam.

Jay
          Speed Merchant
          http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Do you have the specs for both cams? I would be interested in seeing them. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
            X