Custom Triple Tree Only Way Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Triple Tree Only Way Out?

I've fitted the Tracy body on my 1100E and am starting to fit the inverted GSXR front end. The top of the fork tubes will interfere big time with the fuel tank area of the body.

I'm thinking of making my own triple top clamp and bottom clamp to move the forks further forward away from the center bearing stay and the same distance apart.

Can anyone forsee handling issues or am I worrying for nothing.

Herman

Moving the forks forward increases offset, and hence trail. It will increase stability, but also steering effort.

Dink

Comment

Is it a lock to lock interference? If so, how about longer steering stops.I drilled and tapped my lower tree on both sides and added allen head bolts as stops. By threading in and out the lock to lock can be adjusted

Comment

Originally posted by madjack57754 View Post
        Is it a lock to lock interference? If so, how about longer steering stops.I drilled and tapped my lower tree on both sides and added allen head bolts as stops. By threading in and out the lock to lock can be adjusted
        It interferes so severely with the tank that I'll have trouble turning slow in a parking lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
          Moving the forks forward increases offset, and hence trail. It will increase stability, but also steering effort.

Dink
          Thanks for the tip. I beieve I'll live with the effort. I like the increase in stability part very much as I may ride "briskly" now and then.

Comment

You could always increase the lower clamp offset as little as possible, and match to stock by increasing the upper by more.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
              You could always increase the lower clamp offset as little as possible, and match to stock by increasing the upper by more.

Dink
              If I'm visualizing that as I think it was meant, wouldn't that decrease the rake and stand the forks up?

Comment

Upon bolting up the '93 Katana front end on my '83750, one of the first things apparent was the reduced lock to lock steering travel.

I modified the fork stops as described above, and just planned to deal with the reduced clearance. It only affects very slow speeds and parking lot movements anyway. I would rather accept this than start experimenting with rake/trail changes.

BTW, this is pretty common on older Ducati SS bikes. The frame is very wide at the steering head and greatly reduces steering limit.

With that frame design, low speed steering can get interesting, but it is perfectly streetworthy. You just go real slow in parking lots.

Good Luck, Ed.

2005 GSF1200SZ
                1983 GS750ED
                1992 Duc 900SS
                Last edited by Guest; 12-16-2006, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Just thinking about your problem, I don't know if he still makes them, but Sandy Kosman used to make trees with an offset eccentric so the rake could be changed. It would tip the stem by changing just one and would stretch or shrink the wheel base by changing both the top and bottom eccentric. maybe something like this would work. OR what about cutting the neck from the backbone and adding material to move the head out?

Comment

Just thinking about your problem, I don't know if he still makes them, but Sandy Kosman used to make trees with an offset eccentric so the rake could be changed. It would tip the stem by changing just one and would stretch or shrink the wheel base by changing both the top and bottom eccentric. maybe something like this would work. OR what about cutting the neck from the backbone and adding material to move the head out?
                    I've been going back and forth with bothoptions. The neck backbone thing is almost taking over in my mind as the solution.

Comment

I would be very hesitant to cut the frame at the steering head. Why put a fatigue line around it?

Considering all the loads imposed by the front wheel are concentrated at that point, it seems a lot of bracing and extra rienforcement would be required if you were to cut it.
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-16-2006, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolGS View Post
                        I would be very hesitant to cut the frame at the steering head. Why put a fatigue line around it?

Considering all the loads imposed by the front wheel are concentrated at that point, it seems a lot of bracing and extra reinforcement would be required if you were to cut it.
                        Very much in the forefront of my consideration. Thanks for the warning. I've probably welded 300 lbs of mig wire in the last few years and designed load bearing and highly stressed devices and objects.

Herman

Comment

well I think its a done deal. I'm moving the neck out a little and changing the rake to get ride hight back and clearance. Anyone know what the angle of a GSXRs forks are to the ground?

Herman

Comment

Operation started. First brace in place. Next piece will be a "T" to the neck for core strength then the outside will be re-built to imitate the original apearance.

Comment

moving forks forward decreases trail and therefore stability

Comment

Working...
                              X