Heat Sheild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat Sheild

I know right now this isnt really needed with the colder weather. But has anyone put a heat reflecting material on the underside of their gas tank?

I was thinking that by putting the reflective material on the underside would lower the temperature of the gas.

And while I'm on the topic is there a specialty paint that can be used as a finish for the entire tank? (possibly something with ceramic in it)

Adam

It is always a good thing to do!

As far as tank paint, some people use Dupont Imron because it is virtually indestuctable. I don't know if you just want fuel resistance, abrasion resistance or other properties. (Any good clear coat resists fuel spills.)

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I plan on putting the tank insulation, ceramic coat or wrap the exhaust headers, powdercoat the engine and install an oil cooler. But not limited to just those, I will try to make any other possible mods that will help keep my engine cooler and stronger.

As far as the paint goes I will most likely go the dupont route. I was sure that I wanted to use mostly dupont products (well proven) but wasnt sure which ones yet.

Have you tried that specific product? If so was there any noticable differences?

Adam

Comment

As long as you're "moving" the heat from the engine doesnt' really affect the gas tank.

Are you having problems with fuel temprature?

Also keep in mind that as the fuel atomizes it vaporizes some as well, that provides a signifigant cooling effect.
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

I wanted to do the insulation because I have been caught in traffic a few times and felt it starting to get hot. Normally open country driving until summer when theres an insane amount of traffic going to the Jersey shore.

Adam

Comment

A heat shield for the carbs would probably do more good. You see some Yosh shields from time to time on Ebay for the air cooled Gixxers. Same carb spacing as the GS models so they will fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
              A heat shield for the carbs would probably do more good. You see some Yosh shields from time to time on Ebay for the air cooled Gixxers. Same carb spacing as the GS models so they will fit.
              Something like this...

IMHO, installing the oil cooler(and perhaps switching to synthetic oil) will be enough to serve your purpose...I run a ceramic coated 4X1 and the effect on engine temp is negligible on a bike....its main advantage is that it is a more durable finish than hi temp paint and resists fading/chipping/rusting etc better than paint...even any claimed power gains from speeding up flow of spent gases is negligible on our machines.

Tony.
              '82 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
              X