2 full length brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 full length brake lines

hey guy's not quite a gs question but i posted this over on a sv forum i am a member of, and the kids over there really don't know how to give you a good answer, so i seek the GS Sages

converti bar brake line question
    i am looking at ordering some converti bars with the lines and all, and they have 3 different options for brake lines:

A. Front Brake line- Silver/Clear(Single Top Line only) 4 inches Longer Than Stock, Teflon lined, Steel Braided (just replaces stock top line only)

or

B. Front Brake lines-Silver/Clear(Original 2-Line Single w/cross over) 4 inches Longer Than Stock, Teflon lined, Steel Braided (replaces stock line and the shorter cross over)

or

C. Front Brake lines- Silver/Clear(Alt-2 Dual-two lines) 4 inches Longer Than Stock, Teflon lined, Steel Braided ( 2 full length lines; one per caliper)

I am kinda leaning toward option C because i heard from someone that having individual lines running to each caliper is better. Anyone care to explain and help me make a better choice, money isn't really a factor in this. I am thinking the 2 full length lines give you more fluid and better heat displacement, am i right?
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Option C would give you about 5-10ml more brake fluid, so extra capacity/cooling area is minimal, but absolutely no reason why you cant go that way.

Dink

Comment

The double lines are more of a racer's trick right? I suppose it would make you a bit safer on the road if one caliper or line when haywire. Unless your out hitting Deal's Gap everyday, I doubt you'll see much difference, but I haven't ever made a side by side comparison.

Personally, I like the the lines split under the Triple tree and only one line coming off the bars.

Let us know what you decide

Comment

Hydraulically speaking, it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference whether you use double or triple lines. They will perform exactly the same.

Double lines are slightly cheaper, since there are two fewer fittings to install. They are only a "racers trick" because with a little care in routing, you can more easily remove and replace the entire braking system as a unit. This would be of use in an endurance race or between sprint races -- if a rider crashes and damages some part of the brake system, you can install a spare set of calipers, lines, master cylinder, lever, etc. in a few minutes. This is also much safer for the rider than sending him out again on suspect brakes or trying to bleed brakes in a busy pit (the track stewards tend to frown on filthy brake fluid on their nice clean tracks). Double lines are also slightly easier to bleed, since there's not a fitting in the middle where bubbles can hang up.

Triple lines make for a cleaner installation. Plus, the single banjo bolt doesn't stick out of the master cylinder as far, which could be a factor in some installations, and could make the master cylinder less vulnerable to crash damage.

There is no performance difference or difference in heat dissapation -- the differences are purely packaging, convenience, and aesthetics.

The double lines also do not add a safety factor -- all lines are part of the same hydraulic system and a leak anywhere in the system will lead to a loss of pressure throughout.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

i bought the double lines so I’ll see how it goes, it just seems cool with two lines, how about that for a decision. Hopefully now i can ride my sv more then 200 miles and still feel my wrists
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
          X