down to the frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

down to the frame

Taking the GS1100E to bare frame. Got the steering neck detached and started thinking of paint to complete the job after re-attachment and my anal, over-particular teutonic genetics showed up. The bike is dirty and paint is chipped. I will be strengthening and bracing and powder coating as well. I think the degree of modification I'll be getting into warrants a total makeover.
    I also like the idea of being able to jig the frame and make it absolutely square and straight while I re-attach the neck.

Can I say "Wow" now, or do I have to wait a bit?

Comment

Nice project dude!
      I wish I had stripped mine to he frame when I rebuilt my GS650. But I never thought that I would be getting so involved in this hobby (disease). If I were to strip mine all the way down, I've now got a friend with a big oven and other equipment who will powdercoat the thing for me gratis. Ahh well.....
      Season's Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by zooke-158 View Post
        Can I say "Wow" now, or do I have to wait a bit?
        That depends on the reason. I guess the inflection is important. Do you mean "I can't believe the mess?" or "Cool, that's a really in depth project" or "man you're spun and should have left well enough alone"?

Comment

Very nice work indeed so far.
          Have you been to this site for frame bracing
          Genetic engineering of an extinct species
          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
          2000 Kawasaki Concours
          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by drhermanstein View Post
            That depends on the reason. I guess the inflection is important. Do you mean "I can't believe the mess?" or "Cool, that's a really in depth project" or "man you're spun and should have left well enough alone"?
            I'll have to go with "Cool"! Can't wait to see the finished project.

Comment

I can see lots of work and money in your future

Comment

I'll say wow now (brown cow).
                but what I mean is "Oh to have a shop like that - so's I can chop like that."

Comment

Originally posted by madjack57754 View Post
                  I can see lots of work and money in your future
                  That's funny, I had a vision about lots of money too, however it was moving away from me.

hhmmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by justin caise View Post
                    I'll say wow now (brown cow).
                    but what I mean is "Oh to have a shop like that - so's I can chop like that."
                    Thanks for the compliment. I'm really blessed. The shop is my work too. I build turbochargers for a living and can justify all kinds of neat equipment and tools.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the results!

Comment

Ya, with the ability to write off milling machines and engine lathes with a single bound.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy...I'm so dull i could be described as blunt

Comment

Frame and motor are separated! Wife was napping so I ducked into the shop and tinkered a bit today.

Comment

1200 Bandit swing arm is fitted with shim/bushings to fit the thinner orig bolt to the larger dia swingarm hole.
                            Looking forward now. The teardown has ended. Bought a laser on an adjustable tripod that has horizon and vertical on a boxing day sale. Now I can line up the bike perfectly!
                            Oh yeah, the motor that came in the bike has adjustable cams with 20 thou. more lift at the lobes. ooooooaaaaaaa

Comment

Finally figured out how I'll line up the bike. Katman let me in on a secret. The swing arm has an offset and I'm not going crazy. Now I can get the whole thing to line up and I'll weld the neck back on in the new location and get the body and forks fitted. Then blast and powdercoat.

Comment

Working...
                              X