Internal Engine Coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internal Engine Coating

Has anyone had any experience with this product or something similiar?

HERE

Adam

?

Famous quote "Go ahead make my day". We spend heaps of effort to keep stuff out of engine and they want to put stuff in there. Doh! If i saw correctly u put it in to seal the surfaces after you bead blast the parts. That in itself is a no-no. Sorry if i sound harsh but this is my say. Thanks

Comment

Forget about that Glyptal Red......if you absolutely feel you must coat, look here

If you do it, keep us posted

Tony.
      Last edited by Mysuzyq; 12-27-2006, 01:39 AM.
      '82 GS1100E

Comment

I was hoping someone else had given it a shot. I cant afford to risk harming my motor. I can only afford to do it once and do it right.

That was just some thing that had peaked my interest as an alternative to polishing the insides of the cases for better oil flow. I wasnt planning on the polishing just wondering if that would be a cheap alternative.

But if its to good to be true it probably isnt.

Comment

What is the problem your trying to solve?

Or, do you think that there is really something to be gained by doing this?

Had a friend of mine have a set of cases coated by Jet Hot. This was done just for looks. I think the cost was a little over $100.

Comment

Sure would hate to have that red stuff start to peel off in flakes. Engine sure wouldn't last long with a clogged intake screen and oil passages. :shock:
            Last edited by Guest; 12-27-2006, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by akreider View Post
              That was just some thing that had peaked my interest as an alternative to polishing the insides of the cases for better oil flow. I wasnt planning on the polishing just wondering if that would be a cheap alternative...
              Why not throw in a pair of 750 oil pump gears to get 30% more flow, and call it a day?

Tony.
              '82 GS1100E

Comment

Gylptal isn't likely to come off if the surface was clean when coated. It is used to coat generator windings that are spinnng at 3600 rpm, in a very warm, usually oily, hydrogen atmosphere. GE makes this stuff. I haven't seen it used inside an engine, but I am sure t would stick. Don't know what the advantage would be for an engine. In a generator it is used for electrical insulation.
                "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I wasn't trying to solve a specific problem. I had heard something before about making the internal surfaces smooth for better oil flow. And when I saw that product I wondered if anyone had tried it.

I wasn't about to go and order a case of the stuff. I tend to be a little leery about the magic bottles that give large hp gains.

I was thinking about having my cases powdercoated but I just read an article that its not good to do it. The author stated that the ceramic coatings' excellent insulating properties would decrease the engine's ability to cool itself. I am pretty sure that he specified the cylinder block and heads.

Here is the LINK

Adam

Comment

Detroit-iron engine builders(read Chevy V-8's) used to do this for oil control and condensation control in the valley area, as well as the rocker arm valve / spring area under the valve covers. Glyptol won't come off if applied on dry, oil-free surfaces. It's tough-as-nails. I've seen 60 yr. old lathes where the inside of the headstocks(home of gears, bearings, shafts) were coated with similar products, and they looked like it was done yesterday. Don't know that it'll do anything good for a GS motor, though.

Comment

Originally posted by akreider View Post
                      I wasn't trying to solve a specific problem. I had heard something before about making the internal surfaces smooth for better oil flow. And when I saw that product I wondered if anyone had tried it.

I wasn't about to go and order a case of the stuff. I tend to be a little leery about the magic bottles that give large hp gains.

I was thinking about having my cases powdercoated but I just read an article that its not good to do it. The author stated that the ceramic coatings' excellent insulating properties would decrease the engine's ability to cool itself. I am pretty sure that he specified the cylinder block and heads.

Here is the LINK

Adam
                      What is wrong with just a acid wash and paint for the engine? I did this on my 1000 9 yrs ago and its still looks like new. The lower case isnt painted as standard but the rest i did with VHT universal aluminum which is very close to the standard silver. Hope this helps

Comment

If this product is what I think it is go for it. I have used it in many automotive and diesel applications. I have never had an issue with the stuff peeling off and it does create an ultra slick surface for the oil to slide down

Comment

Sharpy this coating is used on the inside of the engine cases where is is rough from the casting. Therefore it will help keep the oil off of sides of the cases and moving to the parts that require it.

The more I read about it the more I am seriously contemplating using it. I feel more comfortable with a product with a long proven track record like this one. The main key point I keep finding is that the block must be totaly striped and cleaned (dipped) because if there is any oil present it will flake off like you guys were concerned about.

Adam

Comment

I've been building high performance car engines for over 35 years, and use Glyptol inside of every one of them for the last 30 years. I never has it peel from a properly prepared block or head set. The purpose of this stuff is to aid in oil return to the sump. Oil tends to cling to rough surfaces and this coating seals the casting to make a slick surface so the oil just slides off

Comment

I am just posting what I am finding in my research which could be wrong, I am not familiar with this product. Thats why I'm glad to get advice from a fellow GSer with first hand experience. Thank you very much

Have you noticed a performance differance with glyptol?

Or is its main effect on lengthening the life of the engine?

Comment

Working...
                              X