Cam Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Question

What I wanted to know is it cheaper to have my current cams sent out to be reground and welded or just buy replacements?

My motor has or will be getting mikuni 36s or 38s, 4-2-1 performance exhaust, dyna ignition, dyna coils, welded crank and clutch basket. Also have the valves redone.

My goal is to make it powerful but nothing radical because I will be using it regularly. I want to have cams utilize the full potential of the other mods.

Thanks
    Adam

if you look at megacycles catalog it's something like 388 for billetts and 398 to have them weld your cores. Or find someone wanting to sell a good used set. Webcams are cheaper.

Comment

I just buy new ones. Last set I bought were from WEB. I think they have the price in their website.

The cams are not normally all that much. It's the guide, piston and rocker work that costs. WEB has a 223 (maybe 233) grind that would work with the stock parts if your not trying to do anything too blown out.

Comment

Yeah I am trying to keep the mods relatively small, just looking to do the a few mods that will get me the most bang for my buck and keep it streetable.

Comment

I have read about swaping later model stock cams would I be able to swap in stock 92 gsxr1100 cams? More importantly would I receive any benifits from it?

I might be able to get them cheap right now that way I could hold off on buying new cams until I have more liquid funds.

Adam

Comment

On ebay I just won a set of 38mm carbs off of a 90 gsx750, for the low low price of 112 dollars. HERE

Comment

1150 cams are a good cheep mod if i remember correctly. I think a G3 is a 1150 copy.

Comment

Here are the Web new billets.

Speed Merchant
                http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by akreider View Post
                  On ebay I just won a set of 38mm carbs off of a 90 gsx750, for the low low price of 112 dollars
                  Those are some great carbs. I have a set too.

Just a few things to know;

You may need to re-adjust the float level since they will tilt back on a GS and may leak out the back.

The intake boot on your engine might crack if it's really old cause it will take alittle force to get them on. Also use hose clamps to tighting them on cause the oem clamps may not work as well.

You can use a big hose clamp to help hold them up to the frame.

Your petcock might hit the CV cap or vacuum port. I just removed the 4 screws and turn the back of the petcock/ vacuum port for more clearence.

For me mikuni 150 jets work great, stay away from DJ jets.

At the track the only carb that was faster was the lectrons by a tenth or two and 5 mph's.
                  1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                  1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                  1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                  1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                  01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Originally posted by NoBars View Post
                    1150 cams are a good cheep mod if i remember correctly. I think a G3 is a 1150 copy.
                    You will lose the use of the stock tach with this mod though...the 1150's have an electronically driven tach.
                    Tony.
                    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
                    X