Steering Stabilizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Stabilizer

Has anyone installed a stabilizer on their bikes or know of a post that describes the mod?

I know that these bikes are stable if everything is properly adjusted and maintained. But. since I am doing an entire teardown I want to go overkill and be safe than sorry. (front and rear upgrades coming)

Thanks

Use the search tool to find threads in the archive. Like this one.
    This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

I did a quick review, and most opinions are that a steering stabilizer is a band-aid instead of an actual problem solver. I tend to agree. I have no steering stabilizers on any of my bikes, and I've had 'em up over 100 mph with no problems.

I did have a steering challenge on my '80 1100E this past summer. Turned out the forks needed new springs and oil, and the steering head bearings were bone dry. Here's my thread on that if you want to review it.
    This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Point is, if your suspension is maintained properly the steering stabilizer is probably unnecessary.

Comment

I did a little searching but didnt see any pics showing modified mounts. I agree that the stabilizers are sometimes used as bandaids but I would like to have that little extra control to adjust the suspension. On my bike right now the suspension is in good working order (everything checked) but I still noticed a little shake when I was approaching 140 mph.

I am definitly going to be installing one just looking for a little help designing it.

Comment

my gs 1000 came with one. looks like they welded a lug on the downtube. it is overkill. i run it full soft cuz it slows down the already slow steering. no wobbles, ever

Comment

Below is what I did to my 1100 frame. It's a bolt on only setup. If your not running an oil cooler there are two bolt holes you can bolt a flat piece of metal too. Then you can mount the stabilizer to it with a locknut behind the plate and the other end to the fork leg. Works for me, no welding needed, just alittle cutting of metal and drilling 3 holes. Doesn't hit the tank, fork legs or exhaust pipes.

I also intalled and o-ring between the pinch mount and the swivel to prevent the stabilizer from flopping up and down alittle. If you install one you'll see what I mean.

1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Thanks for the reply but I will most likely be going with a stabilizer mounted on top of the steering stem. I plan on welding two tabs onto the frame shown in the attached pic where I can bolt the stabilizer to the frame. I designed those tabs so I could use this cheaper stabilizer first

then later be able to upgrade to this type which is a few hundred more.

I just want to clarify the reason for this modification. It is not to fix a wobble caused by loose steering stem nut or something else. I want to have this as an extra safety feature to prevent of lessen jerking of the handlebars when hitting a pot hole or other obstruction. I want that little extra that I may never need or possibly help me keep control if I have to suddenly swerve to avoid an accident.
            Thanks

Comment

hey im with you better to hav it and not need it, than need it and not hav it!

Comment

personally i think the slower steering response with a stabilizer is more dangerous

Comment

Well the way I see it is that the steering is only as fast as you are strong and quick. But if it is to much I'll be able to take it off rather than try put it on later and have to tear apart the front to weld on the brackets.

Comment

?

My 1000s front comes down from 180kph wheelies any way it wants and all it does is go straight doenst matter how radical it gets. Why a damper when u want to steer out of trouble?

Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2006, 07:33 PM.

Comment

You're using a GSXR front end in your rebuild - a steering stabilizer is STOCK.

Plus those really nice stabilizers you showed pics of will bolt on.
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2006, 04:59 AM.

Comment

HOLY **** MAN!!! how do you do that???

Comment

Originally posted by roadron View Post
                          HOLY **** MAN!!! how do you do that???
                          If you're talking to me, start reading from here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...t=97905&page=6

Comment

yeah you, the crazy aussie, thx 4 the link

Comment

Originally posted by roadron View Post
                              yeah you, the crazy aussie, thx 4 the link
                              LOL, I'm in Utah actually.

One bit I neglected to mention is the fact that you'll need to weld a bracket to your steering head to mount the GSXR steering dampener.

Here's a pic of YJ's GS1000 with the 2003 GSXR 1000 front end with steering dampener installed:

Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2006, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X