Steering Stabilizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by akreider View Post
    Thanks for the reply but I will most likely be going with a stabilizer mounted on top of the steering stem. I plan on welding two tabs onto the frame shown in the attached pic where I can bolt the stabilizer to the frame. I designed those tabs so I could use this cheaper stabilizer first

then later be able to upgrade to this type which is a few hundred more.

I just want to clarify the reason for this modification. It is not to fix a wobble caused by loose steering stem nut or something else. I want to have this as an extra safety feature to prevent of lessen jerking of the handlebars when hitting a pot hole or other obstruction. I want that little extra that I may never need or possibly help me keep control if I have to suddenly swerve to avoid an accident.
    Thanks
    IMO, you feel the need for a steering damper for all the wrong reasons. There is absolutely NO need for a stabilizer on a street driven bike. They are very necessary out on the track, where high speed headshake is ocassionaly an issue. If you crash, a damper is NOT going to save you from injury, if anything, a damper will HINDER a quick evasive action with the handlebars. A steering damper slows down the handlebar "sweep" action. I have a Scotts damper on my KX500 (KX500's inherantly have hefty headshake issues). So I needed to add one. They are generally very expensive, and on a GS, I don't see any way to go with the "top triple tree" mount method as the fuel tank is too close to the triple clamp. Heres a pic of the Scotts weld on kit on my 500:

Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2007, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X