Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The factory welded crank saga continues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to get off subject, but I need my crank welded on my '78 1000. Do the welds need to go completely around the pin? The guy who says he can weld mine is planning on just tacking it, I think. He said he wouldn't be adding much if any material to it... more like just bonding it together. Does that sound right? Is that sufficient? After the crank gets welded, do you need to balance it?
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I'm pretty sure that whenever you take the crank out you should check the balance on it, but certainly after welding I imagine.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
        Not to get off subject, but I need my crank welded on my '78 1000. Do the welds need to go completely around the pin? The guy who says he can weld mine is planning on just tacking it, I think. He said he wouldn't be adding much if any material to it... more like just bonding it together. Does that sound right? Is that sufficient? After the crank gets welded, do you need to balance it?
        Get what you pay for here. If the first words out out the welders mouth weren't how quick is the bike, your looking in the wrong place. They have a reputation to protect.

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy View Post
          Get what you pay for here. If the first words out out the welders mouth weren't how quick is the bike, your looking in the wrong place. They have a reputation to protect.
          I haven't yet spoke to the welder in person. He is a friend of a friend... has his own motorcycle shop... works mostly on Yamahas. I was just curious if his process is correct, or what I should expect when getting my crank welded. APE, Falicon, and places like that show they will weld the crank for around $100. Does that include balancing, or is balancing needed? I'm not building a drag bike, but it will be modified, and I only want to do this once.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Mine twisted in 1984 at less than 5000 miles in a one horse town with a Suzuki only dealer with 5 bikes in the showroom and a shop no bigger than my kitchen. The ol boy got a hold of the Factory rep and got the new crank put in (took a month) and shes been like clock work ever since. a cost to me of $0.00
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

....or what I should expect when getting my crank welded. APE, Falicon, and places like that show they will weld the crank for around $100. Does that include balancing, or is balancing needed?
              Pick up the phone and call them.

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy View Post
                Pick up the phone and call them.
                Thanks for the input.
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Over a year ago I called APE and the tech said they don't usually balance the crank due to it being a roller bearing crank. He said it wasn't needed??
                  1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                  1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                  1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                  1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                  01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Thanks for the input.
                    It was the best advice I could give. Too many hillbilly crank jobs out there already.

Goood luck with yours.

Comment

Working...
                    X