GS750 Oil Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 Oil Cooler

I'm thinking about installing an oil cooler on my `77 GS750. Something around the size of the one on a 1400 Intruder or similar. I think can figure out the mounting myself. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the oil out of and back into the engine? Ideally, I think it should go through the filter first, then the cooler to reduce pressure drop. On that note, should I replace the oil pump gears with higher colume or pressure ones? Finally, what year/model GS's have an oil cooler that might work for this?

You will need a fitting that replaces the oil pressure switch behind the cylinders and under the cam chain tensioner. We have a member on the forum that builds them and can make a really nice one for you. It is the same set up that Yoshimura used on their late '70s superbikes.

Hap

Comment

The adapter Hap's talking about looks like this

Made by a mate in Australia named Terry. He can help you with your specific model, and provide all the fittings (I think).

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Tom...it was spot on!

Hap:-D

Comment

Here is a whole set-up from a GS750 for a great price .....from an '82, but should work on your bike if the filter-cover is the same shape/style.

Tony.
          '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
            Here is a whole set-up from a GS750 for a great price .....from an '82, but should work on your bike if the filter-cover is the same shape/style.

Tony.
            That one won't work. The old 77's have the round filter cover. The only option is to get the adapter. I found one similar to Terry's on ebay with an old beat up cooler. They come up sometimes, but not too often. Terry's is nice. I'll be buying one from him soon for my current project.

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Cool...thanks for the clarification....perhaps someone else can snag that for a later model GS then.

Tony.
              '82 GS1100E

Comment

Hey, guys. Thanks for looking. I'd seen Terry's stuff on here a while back, just couldn't remember his name. I've got an e-mail into him now. Another thing that caught my eye with that 750 setup on ebay is where the oil comes out of the engine. I found an oil flow diagram in the Suzuki GS750 Service Manual and it looks to me like there would be no pressure to push the oil up into the cooler. Unless there is a groove or channel in the back of the filter cover to direct the oil coming into the cooler before it goes through the filter. Anyway, based on that diagram, Terry's looks like the best. It sits right above the galley and all the oil coming out of the fliter has to pass through it. Nice design.

Comment

I would also be interested in doing this as well. Be sure to post lots of pictures, prices, tips, etc...

Comment

Working...
                  X