Gs450 roadrace help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs450 roadrace help...

Well guys, im new around here, and have searched the forum about as much as I can stand for now.... So now I ask questions.. So please bare with me...
    I have an 83 Gs450 I believe is an e model but im not sure.. Would have to look.
    Well I am preping it for the upcoming roadrace season with OMRRA.
    My questions revolve mostly around wheels and suspension.
    First thing is first.
    Suspension; I would like to replace the front forks with a new set from maybe an older 600.. I dont know. what do you recomend?
    Both rear shocks are SHOT.. I need new ones. any sugestions there??
    Next is wheels. I have been told to find a set of 17's, but dont know where to look....
    Exhaust.. I would like to go with a 2into2 set up as I have heard this is the best way to make power.... I have a 2into1 on it right now, but its rusted out and need replacement. should I go custom???
    Anything else that i may have forgotten??
    Thanks all for ANY help!!!!
    Micah

Any later set of forks should be an improvement, yours are "Damper rod" replace with "Cartridge" type forks and you are ahead. Try and get a complete front end, including triple clamps & wheel. http://www.ikonsuspension.com/ is the best choice for shocks; used to be called Koni's.
    17" wheels is probably a worthwhile idea, wider choice of better rubber.
    2 into 1 is a better choice on a race bike.

Dink

Comment

Why not get a 550 and go from there? So much more middle wieght potential.
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Thanks for the shock info!!! Ill be contacting them for pricing!

Originally posted by brveagle View Post
        Why not get a 550 and go from there? So much more middle wieght potential.

Mostly because I have a 450 and not a 550.... But also, I have 3 450ish classes I can race in.....
        Last edited by Guest; 01-22-2007, 07:10 AM.

Comment

And the Twins start out nearly 100 lbs lighter. :-/ All of my weight trimming effort on my GS550 will only get the bike to weigh what a brand new GS500F weighs.

I understand 50+ horsepower can be had from a 450. It's not a bad place to start.

Shocks are everywhere. Ask JoeNardy, and Firsttimer about their shocks. I think they picked up hagon? maxis? Something like that. I have a set of KYB's from a ZRX1200 on my 550, and that makes me happy. Works, penske, and ohlins also make shocks that will do your bike well.

For the forks, I'd look into getting the front end off a 1983-86 GS550 Or from a 90+ GS500 and a 17" wheel to go in there. It depends greatly on your budget where you go with wheels... Do your research first, if you can deal with something less than the best supersticky rubber, there's some good stuff for 18 and 19" wheels.

www.eurospares.com has a section on JUST racing GStwins. http://www.eurospares.com/gsfaq.htm there's lots of good informaion there.
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Are the GS550 and GS500 front ends a direct bolt in for the most part? I have a bent fork leg on my GS450 and figured I'd upgrade if I had to get a new one anyway.

Comment

For the rear I put a set of cb700sc shocks, I believe Works makes a set that is very good. For the front....you can put any front in there are long as you can get the stems swapped on the lower triples. A custom exhaust should be tucked close to the body, the stocker will run out of clearance quickly. if you can get 18" wheels both front and back, Avon makes the am22 tire. otherwise, I'd try to put 17s on. the rear swingarm may not take anything much wider than a 130. As with any racing, how fast you go depends on how much do you want to spend.

Comment

Call me at 714-356-7845 as we used to race a GS 500 & it is basically the same motor. I can tell you what we did to that bike & you will be AMAZED at how much improvement can be made in yours! Ray.

Comment

On your fork swap, do the rule limit the diameter of the tubes? Some rules limit you to 41mm.
                  Either way I like the idea of the 600 forks, the later 90s had more adjustability, not to mention great brakes and a 17" wheel.

Look into a GS500 rear wheel, it is not real wide but again do your rules limit the wheels?

I am old fashioned and like my Fox shocks, no external adjustments though. My recommendation is to spend as much as you can inside the forks and on the shocks. Prep the rest of the bike as needed to get on the track and ride it.
                  Then go for the rest of the changes. Basically get the bike to get into and out of turns well first.

Comment

Working...
                  X