Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS(X)1100 swingarm in GS1000

Hello, fellow GS'ers,

I'm busy putting a GS 1100 aluminum swingarm into the frame of my '78 gs1000, is this supposed to be a simple bolt-on?
    I've got a clearance issue with the passenger footrest brackets wich are about 10 mm inwards and interfere withe my new swingarm.
    I will try to force them outwards with an hydraulic jack, but just wanted to be sure if my frame was bent because of an accident or whatever...

Is the Al arm wider at that section? that would be my guess. Sorry I can't be of much help.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

my swing arm was a problem too ,but once i had the shocks on and the bike on the ground it worked ok

Comment

You can also remove the welded-tubing passenger peg supports,and bolt on a pair of '81 1100 aluminum peg/pipe brackets. It works fine and looks good, gives the clearance for the arm...you just need to use an '81 1100E swingarm bolt since it also goes through the thickness of the two aluminum castings.
        Hugh

Comment

I had the same problem on my 1000S, I heated the frame where it needed to bend and used a hammer and block of wood, it doesn't need much space. I do read sometimes that others don't need extra clearance with the same 1000/1100 combo...:?

Comment

yep a scissor jack and a hammer will make it fit, thats what i had to do.
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

swingingarm in gs1000s

The problem Ive got with mine is I cant get gsx swinging arm in with
              both spacers which go in the end caps if I take one out it goes straight in
              a freind had same problem with his Gs is this Normal .
              is nothing simple.

Comment

gs arm

Hello,
                I've put my swingarm in without the spacers.
                I think it is normal to have dimensionnal differences between 2 "identical"bikes, since the japanese frames of that era certainly aren't reputed to be straight and true .

Comment

Working...
                X