Quick GSXR Forks Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick GSXR Forks Question

I am looking at a set of 1989 GSXR 750 front forks for my 1985 GS700E. I have heard the bearing and stem are a direct fit. However, there is some question about a change in ride height. Also, will the change in the front wheel/tire affect my handling, since I will be keeping the rear swing arm and wheel/tire? Any insight would be appreciated.

RJ, hungryman, Billy Ricks I am looking in your direction...

Thanks in advance

Rich

If the '89 750 is the USD style fork (I think it is) you will drop your ride height by about 3" or so. It will affect your handling for the better by both having a lower center of gravity and much improved front suspension.

Comment

The '89 is the same as the '88 except longer. The '88 was the shortest ever used. You can squeeze a 4.5" wheel from a Gixxer in the stock swingarm. Use your stock bearings and supports. The hub bearing support will need a tiny bit added to it to match the length of the Gixxer piece. You'll need GSXR sprocket and rotor and a spacer behind the front sprocket. You can get away with the drop in ride height by properly setting up the sag for your weight due to the fact that the 17" wheel is larger in diameter than the stock 16" and the Gixxer forks don't use as much travel as the GS unit. This is in part because the radial tires soak up much of the initial jolts.

Comment

Working...
      X