Another GSXR front end question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another GSXR front end question

OK I hate bringing up topics that are discussed fairly often, but I can't get all of the information I'm looking for by searching.

First, which years of GSXR front end will work on a 78 GS750e? Also what all will I need for the swap? Do I have to change the master cylinder for the new brakes? Do I have to use GSXR calipers and rotors? What's a reasonable price for the conversion? Anything I should worry about after the swap? Specifically the rear suspension or brakes?

Thanks

Andrew

Originally posted by andrewclaycomb View Post
    OK I hate bringing up topics that are discussed fairly often, but I can't get all of the information I'm looking for by searching.

First, which years of GSXR front end will work on a 78 GS750e? Also what all will I need for the swap? Do I have to change the master cylinder for the new brakes? Do I have to use GSXR calipers and rotors? What's a reasonable price for the conversion? Anything I should worry about after the swap? Specifically the rear suspension or brakes?

Thanks

Andrew
    Depends.

How easy/hard do you want this to be? Do you want a bolt-on or are you OK with some fabrication?

Regardless of which way you go, get a COMPLETE GSXR front end. None of the parts are compatible between the GS and GSXR, and getting GSXR front end parts one at a time is a pain and expensive.

On the easier side:

Second gen GSXR 1100 front ends are a bolt-on deal for our GS's. They offer good brakes, are about the same length as the GS forks, and let you run a radial tire.

You should also look into a rear end swap (GS1100 swinger perhaps) that lets you run a radial rear tire as mixing bias ply tires with radials can lead to dangerous handling properties.

On the more difficult, but higher performance side:

Current spec GSXR 1000 (2001-2007) front ends will bolt up to the GS with a bit of bearing switcheroo. You'll need a custom bearing which matches the diameter of the GSXR steering stem to the GS headstock. If you want more details, just ask.

The new forks are MUCH shorter than the GS forks. So, in order to keep your exhaust from sending showers of sparks around, you have to do some back end mods to compensate for the loss of ride height. You can either get longer rear shocks, or do a GSXR monoshock conversion. Again, if you want more details, just ask.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-13-2007, 02:00 AM.

Comment

i'm looking for the easier route. What years are the second gens? Only the 1100s will work? Does it make a difference that mine is a 70's model?

Comment

also what is involved in the rear swap?

Comment

Any GSXR fork from 86 to at least 95 is a bolt on. Maybe even later but I don't remember what year they went to ball bearings. The 1100 forks are longer & a better choice for ground clearance. The 86/87 are the lightest & the 90 are the best for non-inverted forks. Use the ENTIRE front end- EVERYTHING GSXR! If you go inverted they are a little heavier but you WILL love the handling & adjustability! Not to mention the brake upgrade with ANY GSXR brakes. You can get the swing arms in but they require a LOT more work & fabrication. Good luck, Ray.

Comment

For the rear end, start scouting for a GS1100 aluminum swingarm. With that swinger, you can put a 5.5" second gen GSXR 1100 rim in it, which will get you a 180 tire. You'll need to take the swingarm to a welder and get a bracket made on the underside of the swingarm to hold the brake torque arm. Then you can use a GSXR 1100 rear brake. Combine that with the GSXR 1100 front end and voila! radial tires and better brakes.

Comment

Just wondering here...I'll do a search also, but since I've got this thread open... ever heard of anyone doing mods to the GS L's? I've got an '82 L, which of course is the shaft drive. Right now I'm just looking for some places to look around at some examples of what others have done. Mostly, I'd just like to do wider tires, especially the front. The local shop has been somewhat helpful, but I think that they just concentrate on the standard service stuff and are exposed to very few people who mod like some of the people here. Anyways...thanks...I'm looking forward to the upcoming warm weather!!!

Comment

Discussion on this topic here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=103935

Originally posted by redtires View Post
                Just wondering here...I'll do a search also, but since I've got this thread open... ever heard of anyone doing mods to the GS L's? I've got an '82 L, which of course is the shaft drive. Right now I'm just looking for some places to look around at some examples of what others have done. Mostly, I'd just like to do wider tires, especially the front. The local shop has been somewhat helpful, but I think that they just concentrate on the standard service stuff and are exposed to very few people who mod like some of the people here. Anyways...thanks...I'm looking forward to the upcoming warm weather!!!

Comment

So to bring back an old topic, Will the GSXR swap work when you've converted from ball to roller bearings? Can't see why it wouldn't but...
                  Also what about using a first gen GSXR 750 front end, but retaining the gs wheel?
                  I'd like to retain wire wheels as I've gone to some efforts to retain original wheels with my gs1100 swinger.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by courier11sec View Post
                    So to bring back an old topic, Will the GSXR swap work when you've converted from ball to roller bearings? Can't see why it wouldn't but...
                    Also what about using a first gen GSXR 750 front end, but retaining the gs wheel?
                    I'd like to retain wire wheels as I've gone to some efforts to retain original wheels with my gs1100 swinger.
                    Thanks.
                    The GSXR 750 forks are supposed to be some of the shortest.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      The '88 forks were the shortest of all. Even too short for the Gixxer so Suzuki had Dunlop create a tire just for that model which unfortunately was kind of triangular in shape. It made it hard to initiate a turn and once you got it leaned over it wanted to fall into turns. They are well suited for a 550 but ground clearance becomes and issue on bigger bikes. The '95 750 forks I'm running in a CBR954 triple give me ample clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        I've read that. I'll need to replace the spring spacers in the pair I may get anyway as they have been lowered for drag use. I am hoping I can get away with them, but if not there's always tomorrow.

Comment

i run a tl1000 front fork and a gsxr 750 rear swinger (mono) and thats all going into a gs1000 frame. how much smaller the the 750 in the rear? its alot of fab but worth it in the end. http://www.thegsresources.com/_scrip...php?RegID=1020

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                            The '88 forks were the shortest of all. Even too short for the Gixxer so Suzuki had Dunlop create a tire just for that model which unfortunately was kind of triangular in shape. It made it hard to initiate a turn and once you got it leaned over it wanted to fall into turns. They are well suited for a 550 but ground clearance becomes and issue on bigger bikes. The '95 750 forks I'm running in a CBR954 triple give me ample clearance.
                            If we go by the OldSchool chart on PP's pages,

The 1st Gen 750 and 1100 forks are shown to be 580mm and 648mm respectively. I'm not sure how they were measured but there is a difference of 68mm. I know the 1st Gen 1100 forks measure 30.25" from top of the fork to the axle center. That is about 1/2" shorter than my GS1100ED.

68mm is about 2 5/8" shorter than the 30.25" which is only 27 5/8".

The 88 and 89-90 750's are listed at 555 and 535 so they are even shorter.
                            Last edited by posplayr; 11-09-2009, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X