Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wide tire on an 1150???

Hi,
    I am a rookie here with what is probably quite a rhetorical question for you, but I need to ask anyhow.
    I would like to put a wide tire on an 84 gs1150. Is there a GSXR swing arm that might work here? Are there offset drive sprockets available for such a set up? Is there a good aftermarket supplier for such parts or am I junkyarding it?
    I have an 86 roller (really nice, 11000 some miles) and two 84s. One 84 was ridden to near death and presently has the starter end spun on the crank along with just about every other neglect issue possibly imaginable. The other 84 has a powder coated frame and a fresh 1230 engine. The fellow that owned this bike never put it all together. The only parts this bike needed was a gas tank and one side cover. I have a tank at a shop having a small dent repaired and being put in primer (Candy red and pearl white in the original paint configuration, I just decided that). This will probably be the project bike.
    I would like to ride the thing to Road America in June (I live 6 miles away) for the superbike show. I have seen some of the most remarkable motorcycles I could have ever imagined there. I would like to take a bike someone might comment on or maybe even take a picture of. My 10 year old son would really like that, I would too. I had a few Yamaha XS 1100s years ago. They were for the most part ‘’plain Janes’’ or rats. I would kind of like something a little better then a 5 on a scale of 1-10.
    I have a friend who participates and is a past champion at a local drag strip (Wisconsin International raceway) in their bike bracket class. He’s been after me to put something together and come up and make a few passes. So, before my Butt gets way too old and fat, I figured I had better get on that. I am not (presently) interested in putting a 9 second bike together I would just like to make a few passes.

If someone can help me out I would really appreciate it.

Fastrip.

If you want to go with the GSXR swingarm upgrade on your 1150, there's a good discussion on that topic over at OSS right now: http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/cgi-bin/Y...num=1171298043

I'm in the process of monoshocking my GS1000 by putting a 2006 GSXR 1000 swingarm, linkage etc on the bike. Amazingly enough, both swingarms are 225 mm at the pivot point even with the 26 year difference in the manufacture date. You may be able to use a late model GSXR 1000 swingarm on your bike as well.

If you want to keep the swingarm stock, you should be able to fit a second gen GSXR 1100 5.5x17" rim in your stock swingarm for a 180 rear. You should also look into fitting a 89-95 GSXR 1100 front end so you're running radials front and rear (mixing bias ply tires with radials is inadvisable) and better brakes than the stock 1150 brakes.

Good place for parts is eBay, just make sure you ask a lot of questions and ask for lots of pictures before buying. Some great deals on there.

Good luck with your project.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2007, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
      If you want to go with the GSXR swingarm upgrade on your 1150, there's a good discussion on that topic over at OSS right now: http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/cgi-bin/Y...num=1171298043

I'm in the process of monoshocking my GS1000 by putting a 2006 GSXR 1000 swingarm, linkage etc on the bike. Amazingly enough, both swingarms are 225 mm at the pivot point even with the 26 year difference in the manufacture date. You may be able to use a late model GSXR 1000 swingarm on your bike as well.

If you want to keep the swingarm stock, you should be able to fit a second gen GSXR 1100 5.5x17" rim in your stock swingarm for a 180 rear. You should also look into fitting a 89-95 GSXR 1100 front end so you're running radials front and rear (mixing bias ply tires with radials is inadvisable) and better brakes than the stock 1150 brakes.

Good place for parts is eBay, just make sure you ask a lot of questions and ask for lots of pictures before buying. Some great deals on there.

Good luck with your project.
      What is wrong with stock 1150 brakes?? mine pulls "stoppies" with two fingers.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
        What is wrong with stock 1150 brakes?? mine pulls "stoppies" with two fingers.

Dink
        Nothing really, just things have improved over the years. Not trying to be critical. Sounds like you've got your brakes dialed in.

Compare those brakes (or any GS-era brakes) with 2000+ GSXR brakes. Go ride a 2000ish Gixxer (or even a 90s Gixxer) and notice the difference. Better feel, less fade, monstrous stopping power from the radial mounted calipers and more adjustability on the Gixxer gear. Worthy upgrade IMO.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2007, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I raced there in (w.i.r.)the '90s, Another member here, U.P.dragracer still does. I have gsx 600 f (katana)wheels on my 750. Radial tires are the cats....
          Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Nothing really, just things have improved over the years. Not trying to be critical. Sounds like you've got your brakes dialed in.

Compare those brakes (or any GS-era brakes) with 2000+ GSXR brakes. Go ride a 2000ish Gixxer (or even a 90s Gixxer) and notice the difference. Better feel, less fade, monstrous stopping power from the radial mounted calipers and more adjustability on the Gixxer gear. Worthy upgrade IMO.
            I have to agree with 80GS1000. It's not a criticisim, it's a matter of progress. the newer brakes have much better feel and are much more efficient. Add this to the older style bikes just makes them all the better. My opinion of course. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Thanks so far.
              I understand I could well fit a wide tire in the existing swing arm. You refer to a 180, I will need to do some homework on tire sizing. I have been more then a little out of touch.
              Are there not radial tires availible for the rim I have on the front now?
              I have never ridden a bike with radials.
              The brakes will have to be something to do after I get this one on the road.

Comment

The front tire size on your bike is listed as a 100/90-19, the rear is a 140/90-17.

The first number is the tire width in mm, the second number is a percentage of the tires height/profile to its width, and the third number is the rim size.
                So the front tire is 100 mm wide, 90 mm tall, and fits a 19 inch diameter rim. The rear is 140 mm wide, (140*.9)=126 mm tall, and fits a 17" diameter rim.

You can find a radial for your rear tire in that size, but they don't make radials for the rim size you have in the front.

For reference, newer big-bore sportbikes have a 120 radial tire in the front, and between a 180 to 190 radial in the rear.

So, if you want bigger tires on the bike, you'll need to swap out the front end with a GSXR 1100 front end, and the rear rim from a GSXR 1100, which will give you a 120 radial up front (and better brakes, quicker steering) and a 5.5x17" GSXR 1100 in the rear which is good for a 180 radial tire (and a better rear brake).
                Last edited by Guest; 02-16-2007, 12:43 PM.

Comment

The front tire size on your bike is listed as a 100/90-19, :shock:
                  My 1150 runs a 16" front*:-D Oh and a 110/90-16 at that

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
                    My 1150 runs a 16" front*:-D Oh and a 110/90-16 at that

Dink
                    Appears they changed it on the 85s compared to the 84s.
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-16-2007, 04:33 PM.

Comment

The 84 and 86 I have both have 120-80V16 fronts and 130-90V17 rears. At that rate I should be able to find radials.
                      How big a tire will fit in the swing arm I have?
                      I have my most faithful junkyard dog looking for whatever GSXR parts he can find. I will tour E-bay myself.
                      Any early (87-92?)GSXR front end and rear rim? I am assuming the first year for the GSXR was the year after the 1150.

Fastrip

Comment

Working...
                      X