Cycle Brake Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cycle Brake Lines

I'm looking at getting SS brake lines for my 83 GS1100E.
    Has anyone bought a kit from www.cyclebrakes.com?
    If so did you go custom or try a pre-made kit?

Hi. You'll really notice a difference when you switch to hard braided lines.

Nearly everywhere you can buy them they are either Russel or Goodridge.

I bought a kit from Russel and as in all things with more than one application, they didnt fit very well.

Why? the lengths are actually different for the models that have anti dive. The 83' has the longest. I ended up doing it twice, the second time by measuring each one and adding an inch. Then buying them individually.
    We have a bike salvage yard here called Bent Bike that has a HUGE selection of everything new and used for motorcycles. The braided lines are slow movers for some reason so they are all half price.
    I got the whole setup with correct lengths for about $150. The first kit I bought stated it was for a 82 GS750E, and 82-83' GS1100E. But Only if you are a magician. Very tight with no slack at all for the 83'.

Also a good time to switch to DOT 5 fluid if you are so inclined.
    500+ degree boiling point and no moisture absorption (means no internal corrosion). Internal Compatability is Fine as Ive been using it for two years and have no problems.

Comment

There's a company called "HEL performance", who do coloured braided stainless brake lines and fittings for all the GS range. You can order clear or the standard black also, if you wish. https://sws1.eclipse.net.uk/www.h-e-...ki/suzuki2.htm

The above link is the UK site but they have branches in the US and Aussie which you can access from this page. They're not cheap, but probably not much dearer than plain custom hoses.
      :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Plasterdog View Post
        Plasterdog, I have done business with Cycle Brakes. Got my custom ordered red Galfers from them.

When I replaced my front master cylinder, and needed a longer line, they helped me out again. Delivered in two days. I couldn't be happier.

Ask for Shirley!

By the way, I had to order custom because of the color, and Galfer doesn't make a kit for the '78 GS1000E. Your bike should be available in a kit.

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
          There's a company called "HEL performance", who do coloured braided stainless brake lines and fittings for all the GS range. You can order clear or the standard black also, if you wish. https://sws1.eclipse.net.uk/www.h-e-...ki/suzuki2.htm

The above link is the UK site but they have branches in the US and Aussie which you can access from this page. They're not cheap, but probably not much dearer than plain custom hoses.
          I used them for the 750T and was very satisfied.

Comment

cycle brake lines

i got my brake lines from hel usa.1984 gsk 1100,one 32 inch two18 inch one 19 inch,all stainless parts.8 bango bolts.all the crush washers needed for 196.00.if they dont have a kit just measure the lines you need and give them a call they will make them up for you.but first go to there internet sight and you can see the different colors they have.also you will see if they have a kit for your bike.just type hel on google.then go to the us sight.

Comment

Hmmm Kinda hard to figure out which product is right for the bike...

Comment

Steve,

Also check out http://www.paragonperformance.com/

Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I know you didn't ask about these, but I went with the six line kit from paragon performance, after hearing good things about them on this site.

[http://www.paragonperformance.com/Suzuki%20GS1100.html

For $254. The only tricky part was the 2 antidive hoses. The fittings seemed a little taller than on the stock pieces, so the hose had to take a sharper bend to get straight back through the bracket on the fork leg on it's way to the caliper. But they worked out fine, and custmer service was good. Delivery was quick.

Comment

Steve,
                    Just my $.02 but I'd save the money on the anti-dive lines and just disable it. It's very easy to do, just use the single banjo bolts from the anti-dive units in place of the double banjo bolts on the calipers and plug the hole in the anti-dive unit with a suitable bolt. I think I remember that you were going to put Progressive Suspension springs in your forks. With the Progressive springs and some fresh fork oil your front end will work much better. With a well-sorted front end the anti-dive is not necessary and actually causes harsh suspension compression under braking. Most of the bike magazines of the day had negative things to say about Suzuki's (and most other manufacturer's) anti-dive setup. Getting the forks setup correctly is a better solution. Again, just my $.02...................

If you really want to get your forks working right, spring for the Race Tech cartridge fork emulators, but that's a whole separate topic.............

Joe
                    IBA# 24077
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                      Steve,
                      Just my $.02 but I'd save the money on the anti-dive lines and just disable it. It's very easy to do, just use the single banjo bolts from the anti-dive units in place of the double banjo bolts on the calipers and plug the hole in the anti-dive unit with a suitable bolt. I think I remember that you were going to put Progressive Suspension springs in your forks. With the Progressive springs and some fresh fork oil your front end will work much better. With a well-sorted front end the anti-dive is not necessary and actually causes harsh suspension compression under braking. Most of the bike magazines of the day had negative things to say about Suzuki's (and most other manufacturer's) anti-dive setup. Getting the forks setup correctly is a better solution. Again, just my $.02...................
                      Joe
                      I have to agree with you on this. But in my case, I'm trying to keep the bike stock.

Comment

Originally posted by denydog View Post
                        I have to agree with you on this. But in my case, I'm trying to keep the bike stock.
                        I can certainly see your point as well.....................I kept all my stock lines and just about all the other original parts that have been swapped out just in case I ever decide to go back to stock.

Joe
                        IBA# 24077
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Thanks Guys. For some reason even though I subscribed to this thread I was not getting emails???

Anyway, like Denydog, I'd like to keep the bike as stock as possible. Plus once I worked out the air pressure for the shocks they behaved very well.
                          Customer service at cyclebrakes seems to be excellent, they even sent me a piece of red line so I could see the difference between the Suzuki red and thier red. I think I'll end up with thier "carbon" though.
                          And it looks like I'll have to unwrap the bike this weekend and measure the lines just to be sure, plus they will only charge +5.00 per line for custom.

Supposed to be in the forties in Chicago this weekend anyone up for a ride?

Comment

Plus once I worked out the air pressure for the shocks they behaved very well.
                            Air for the shocks? Do you mean air for the forks? Adding air to the forks is a decent solution, but aftermarket fork springs like Progressive Suspension or Race Tech will give you even better suspension action. Aftermarket fork springs are one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do to these bikes.

Supposed to be in the forties in Chicago this weekend anyone up for a ride?
                            Might be kinda sloppy...........if I had a RED GS I probably wouldn't mind getting it all gunked up with salty snow meltoff but I wouldn't think of it since I own a BLUE GS!!!!! \\/

Thanks,
                            Joe

IBA# 24077
                            '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

I've used them twice in the past - once for custom lines for the GS and another for pads. Both times they were very helpful, easy to deal with and delivered promptly.

Comment

Working...
                              X