No announcement yet.

Billy's 78 GS1000 mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Billy, I just Mapquested where you live....

Pretty far up there all right.
    Conveniently located on my way to Alaska. How far up the Alaska Highway have you ridden? I've had my eye on riding it for a long time.
    Is it suitable for a GS with an experienced dirt rider on board?
    Or will I need more of a V-strom or BMW GS or something more suited to off road??
    How much range is required between gas stations now days?
    What's the best time of year to do it on a bike?
    Thanks!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Pretty far up there all right.
      Conveniently located on my way to Alaska. How far up the Alaska Highway have you ridden? I've had my eye on riding it for a long time.
      Is it suitable for a GS with an experienced dirt rider on board?
      Or will I need more of a V-strom or BMW GS or something more suited to off road??
      How much range is required between gas stations now days?
      What's the best time of year to do it on a bike?
      Thanks!
      HAHAHA!

I met a guy on a GS650L on his way to Alaska from Maine! The reports of the horrendous conditions of the Alaska Highway have been grossly exagerated. You could do it on a moped if you were so inclined. Any summer month would be fine, however I've had snow here in every month. 8-[

I haven't gone really far with the GS, only because I want to do increasingly longer trips to prove it's reliability. I haven't done anything to the electrical system. As the trips get longer I'll plan something bigger.

I've only gone UP thehighway as far as Mile 72. There's a little restaurant up there called the Shepherd's Inn. It's a bit of a commune, but has good pie. I've only been as far south as Dawson Creek. (Mile 0). Fort St. John is at about Mile 45. I want to make a trial run up to Mile 95. There's a little lake in there 3km off the hiway with good trout fishing.

A lot of the locations are marked off in mile markers. For instance Wonowon sounds like an indian name, but it's actually a play on words for the mile marker "101". The Highway has always been upgraded, (At least as far as I've been, Liard Hot Springs) to exellent condition. It's smooth sailing and I've never had any trouble on it. There's lots of animals though.

Due to the upgrading and rerouting of certain sections, the mile markers are no longer accurate. However the road is well marked with "distance to" signs all accurate.

I see SUV's with california plates headed up the hiway with jerry cans on the roof rack and I laugh and laugh! Lots of gas stations. No worries. Prices get steeper the further you get.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
        Guys, the slotted rotors are a big improvement, but they won't work with the stock calipers. You'll need to find a set of calipers from an '80 GS1000E. Ahem! Hey PJ, you got another set?

Billy, if you want to try it, everything is a bolt on, and the slots look cool. I did this on my new red wheels. But you'll need to find those '80 calipers.
        Thanks Tom. I think I'll stick with the skunk calipers and discs for now.

I was looking at your pics. Looking very sweet!

Comment

I got Toms package today. (Um, that sounded better in my head... 8-[ )
          The fork looks great. I might do some buffing to shine it up, but it's not really neccesary.

I swapped the progressive spring into the tube at lunch. I still need to oil the forks, but then they're going in the clamps.

The fairing had some holes to be filled, so I tried my hand at fiberglassing. It worked pretty well. All the holes are glass filled and smooth on top. Ready for paint.

I spent the last weekend cleaning and polishing my rims. I used mothers aluminum polish. Works great. That and some steel wool.

Comment

No pictures? Come on....

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
              The fork looks great. I might do some buffing to shine it up, but it's not really neccesary.
              C'mon man... 'em out.

Comment

Those yours 8track? Nice. I do not posses that kind of patience. Not to mention the neighbors talking about that guy polishing his shaft in the driveway again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H View Post
                  Those yours 8track? Nice. I do not posses that kind of patience.
                  I'm married...I have nothing but patience.

Comment

That is outrageous. How do you keep up with that level of polishing?

Comment

I don't have a buffing wheel like Jeff does.

Pics today.

Comment

You probably already know this, but don't paint that fairing until you give the fiberglass a LOT of time to cure. I've never worked with the stuff, but I've read it can bubble while curing.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
                          You probably already know this, but don't paint that fairing until you give the fiberglass a LOT of time to cure. I've never worked with the stuff, but I've read it can bubble while curing.
                          Thanks Mike. I think it's good now. I've read about epoxy bubling if left to cure in the sun, but it's already sanded and it seems pretty solid now.

Comment

Front wheel.

Comment

Rear........

Comment

Rear again.
                                I can't get the inside part of the hub.

Comment

Working...
                                X