Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairing all sanded down

Comment

Here are the hooles I had to fill. Originally the big one was a lot smaller, but I experimented with a different mounting idea. Didn't work. Thus, the large hole on the side.

Comment

The fork on the right is my original. I need to buff up the other new-to-me fork. What kind of stripper should I use to get the clearcoat off? I don't want to just sand and sand....
        Last edited by Guest; 03-06-2007, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
          The fork on the right is my original. I need to buff up the other new-to-me fork. What kind of stripper should I use to get the clearcoat off? I don't want to just sand and sand....
          Berryman's carb cleaner works wonders.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
            Berryman's carb cleaner works wonders.
            Thanks Mike, but I can't get berrymans up here. I used "Gunk".

Would furniture stripper work?

Comment

Thanks Mike, but I can't get berrymans up here. I used "Gunk".

Would furniture stripper work?
              Probably, but I'm not sure what it'll do to the metal. Any carb cleaner should be fine.

Comment

Rear again.
                I can't get the inside part of the hub.
                That must be killing you inside.

As for a stripper, I've used JASC paint stripper (available at home depo, etc.) and Airplane Stripper (available at auto part stores). Both work exceptionally well and seem safe to the metal surface, and both are terribly nasty to your skin.

Comment

My homage to Solo....

How Kool is That! :-D
                  man that thing is coming along real fine, gotta be thankful for long winters
                  most North i've been in BC was working in Mackenzy...got snow alright!

like mentioned above, paint stripper and steelwool will work fine
                  as for buffing, i use a small pad that attaches to a drill and some autosol

Comment

Originally posted by solo suzuki View Post
                    How Kool is That! :-D
                    man that thing is coming along real fine, gotta be thankful for long winters
                    most North i've been in BC was working in Mackenzy...got snow alright!

like mentioned above, paint stripper and steelwool will work fine
                    as for buffing, i use a small pad that attaches to a drill and some autosol
                    Thanks Claude. I'll pick up some paint stripper.

Yeah. MacKenzie is similar. I think it's about 3 hours south of me.

Comment

Originally posted by beergood View Post
                      That must be killing you inside.
                      Yes. Yes it is.

I was eyeing up my tooth brush thinking it might work....

Comment

Probably, but I'm not sure what it'll do to the metal. Any carb cleaner should be fine.
                        Berrymans seems to be the king of carb cleaners though. Ever sprayed some on your hand? Instant "leprosy". ;-)

Comment

Hurts in cuts too.

Comment

Hurts in cuts too.
                            Yes, yes it does. A WD-40 chaser seems to relieve the burning.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                              Yes, yes it does. A WD-40 chaser seems to relieve the burning.
                              I'll have to try that.

Comment

OK, sorry for the lack of updates for my subscribers... :roll: :-D

The fairing has been painted a silver/aluminum colour, and the windscreen has been cut down 2.5 inches. It's mounted on the bike and lookin' sweet. Pics as soon as I can.

The forks have been put back together and calipers gone through and bolted to the forks. My original caliper float (?), the part that lets it move laterally was siezed, but now all good. Progressive springs and 1.25 inch preload for my biggish frame.

My new front tire came in, but the tube they ordered was an off-road tube and twice the price of a regular tube. We're only talking $10 difference, but still. The local suzi shop wanted 1 hour labour to install. Like heck! I used to bust tires and won't have a problem mounting the rubber.

Oh yeah! I used paint stripper on the fork legs and my spare sprocket cover. Steel wool in increasingly finer grades and mothers polish. Looks great!
                                Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2007, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X