Billy's 78 GS1000 mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, Thanks.
    I'm not going to go looking for an E model left fork just yet. I'll run with one smaller disc.

Comment

Be careful. That's going to throw things off. I wouldn't recommend it. I've got a 1000 front end I'm looking to sell, actually. It's got everything on it from the top on down except brakelines.

Comment

How would that throw things off? It's still just a spinning wheel. The principles of bkaking are the same, aren't they?

I'm not made of money, and I really only need a left E model fork and a disc.

Comment

You've got uneven weight on either side of a tremendous centrifugal force. Might make the bike pull to one side when braking, I would think.

Comment

Is that so much different that running a single disc? I'd be inclined to think that it would even it out a bit.

Comment

You're probably right. Like I said, I'm no expert.

Comment

billy if you are interested i have a 78 1000 e set of forks the calipers that go with them the tripple tree and the front rim.all you would have to buy is a set of front disks and i think renobruce has a set he would sell fairly cheap.these forks may need seals but they are in good shape with no pitting that i could see.the stuff is a little dirty from sitting around but in good shape.if you want some pics let me know.talk to you soon.have a great week.

Comment

Billy, sounds like lots of folks selling parts. Here's my .02 cents. I have the mate to that fork still in the garage. And I have "E" rotors and calipers (they're red, though).

Lots of options for you. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the offers guys.

I changed the right side disc to my spare rear disc, (which is the same as the E model) and everything bolted right up.

It's still spongy as can be. I'll bleed it again tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                      Thanks for the offers guys.

I changed the right side disc to my spare rear disc, (which is the same as the E model) and everything bolted right up.

It's still spongy as can be. I'll bleed it again tonight.
                      They are the same size ? Same diameter?

And it being spongy, try re seating the pads in the carrier, make sure the backing is clean.
                      Keith
                      -------------------------------------------
                      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

No, they're different sizes.
                        Thanks for the tips. I'll try that.

Comment

Uh, did I read things right? You're swapping rear and front rotors? I don't believe the two are the same thickness and/or diameter. If so, you can't do that and expect the brakes to operate correctly.
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The GS1000E rotors are all the same. 280mm.
                            The GS1000C have different dia. rotors. Front is bigger. Rear is 280mm.

All are 6mm thick.

I have 1 large disc and 1 small disc on the front, and 1 plain old rear on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
                              Guys, the slotted rotors... won't work with the stock calipers.
                              Thanks Tom. I needed to know that. I didn't know that I needed to know that, but i needed to know that. I was planning to swipe the slotteds from my 750 and just chuckem into the 1000. Now I see I'll have to do a thorough investigation; size, thickness, caliper fitment, cool factor, etc. Ooo, I'd better check the rear too. Sorry for the highjack.
                              All this excessive web surfing and info loading is gonna pay off - I'll make sure of it. Even if it's just so's I can sit in the rocker on the front porch and tell my childrens children all of the wonderful little details how to repair/modify an old dinosaur.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                                The GS1000E rotors are all the same. 280mm.
                                The GS1000C have different dia. rotors. Front is bigger. Rear is 280mm.

All are 6mm thick.

I have 1 large disc and 1 small disc on the front, and 1 plain old rear on the back.
                                On E models, the rear is much thicker than the fronts.
                                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                                X