Cams and Ported heads (go or no)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cams and Ported heads (go or no)

As you know I was having some diff with jetting it seamed last season. The consenses is the head porting/cam compatibility. The info I have gleaned from a number of different experts regarding my very small main jet size in my 1166 (127's) was that the Webb 348 lift 257 duration cams just were not working with my ported head.
    I am having it flowed as we speak so I will have some hard numbers shortly. It seems the long duration combined with the porting was killing my midrange. A stark reminder that the engine is a system that needs all parts working together for optimum performance. I guess I did not have the right combination.
    The 1260cc kit is going to be fed with a hotter set of Webbs. 370 lift 242 duration with the addition of the back cut valves should pic things up a bit for next season. I am shooting for 9.99.
    I barely broke 100hp on the dyno last yr but scored pistons, cylinders and shot cams were also a big part of that I am sure.
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

You only made 100 hp with the 1166 kit???????

Comment

there were some major issues as I had said
      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
        I barely broke 100hp on the dyno last yr but scored pistons, cylinders and shot cams were also a big part of that I am sure.
        Man, I feel for ya. Thought the damage was just the cams....

I hope this year will go smoother than last for both of us!

Comment

Thanks bubba,

lookin forward to this yr. and some 9's.

Remember I crashed and she redlined for about 15 seconds on her side while sliding down the road. That was at the start of the season when I was jetting. But, I believe now that jetting wasn't the problem but my cam porting combo.
          Last edited by katman; 03-02-2007, 01:43 PM.
          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Back in the day when the GS was on the streets 127's just wouldn't work for me. Anything less than 140's she hit a brick wall.
            1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
            1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
            1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
            1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
            01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Did the floor (bottom) of the intake or exhaust ports get ported?

H

Comment

Yes, this is the problem. I built two identical bikes. One had a ported head with .340 cams and the other didn't the one without the cams and porting walked away from the one that did. without head and cams (135 mains) mine would drown between 6 and 8krpm with the same mains.
                Mine was smokin like an old desel at the time. I was so fed up I took it to a harly dyno cuz it had a sniffer and the numbers don't lie. She was drowning herself with anything larger than 127's. AND THAT AIN'T RIGHT FOR A BIG GULP LIKE THAT 1166.

I will have the answer for sure when I get it all back and it is rippin down the track.
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by drhermanstein View Post
                  Did the floor (bottom) of the intake or exhaust ports get ported?

H
                  Yes to some degree. I will get a definitive analysis from the flow bench and the head dude. He won't have it until next Thursday.
                  KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

DrHermannstein asks a good question. Improper porting will ruin a head beyond repair making the motor run like crap. TSCC brings the air in and exhaust out at a certain velocity and direction. when porting, you would have to maintain this relationship with your porting mods.

And stay off the floor!

Comment

Originally posted by RacingJake View Post
                      Back in the day when the GS was on the streets 127's just wouldn't work for me. Anything less than 140's she hit a brick wall.
                      I used 160s and it really took the gas well-- aftermarket exhaust too.

Comment

Do NOT throw that other head away. It can be fixed with epoxy in the floors of the ports. At least as long as the IDIOT that ported it didn't screw up the short side radius. Contact me if you are interested in fixing. I have been doing these heads for a LONG time & my Superflow bench doesn't lie about what works & what doesn't. Ray.

Comment

Thanks Ray, I am asumimg you are talking to me.... I don't think the head is bad but will know in a week or so what is going on
                          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
                            Thanks bubba,

lookin forward to this yr. and some 9's.

Remember I crashed and she redlined for about 15 seconds on her side while sliding down the road. That was at the start of the season when I was jetting. But, I believe now that jetting wasn't the problem but my cam porting combo.
                            No problem billy bob jimbo.

You should mount a tilt switch so next time you fall over it kills the motor.

Comment

Thats a good idea. do you have a schematic of one?
                              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X