Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High output ign

Hi all,
    I have a 77 gs400 that I am restoring. I was thinking of replacing the stock coil/wire set with a few things from msd. Has anyone ever used high output coils and wires with points ign? I was also toying with using an msd-3 ign controler. Any thoughs or concerns on this set up?
    Tnx
    Joey

what don't you just use the Dyna ignition and coils that are made for your bike?

Comment

Automotive coils are usually TOO BIG, draw too much current ..... With the points you need a primarry coil res of 5 ohms

Comment

High output ign

Hi all,
        I was looking at this system from msd:

and a matching coil:

I added an accell ign to my olds 403 and saw a huge improvement, throttle response, the eng didn't stumble at high rpm, better mpg, ect. I thought that with a similar ign on my bike I might see similar gains. It also looks like the plug wires are molded right into the coil case on my old coil set. With the msd set I could change the wires seperate from the coil. But I am still learning my way around a motorcycle eng so I might have missed the mark somewhere. Please give me your thoughts, concerns ect.

Comment

I assume you checked the prices and your fine spending that much?

Personally, I wouldn't put an MC-4 (or any of the other MC...) on a GS400. They are made for drag racing. Don't take it wrong, I like MSD products. I am running the MC-4 now and its a great product. But they draw some major power (your little generator, battery and wiring may not like it). They are also very large compared to stock, so you may not have room. The MC3 had a few issues with the 2-step (not very smooth). Friends bike was VERY VIOLENT on the 2-step. My MC-4 is very smooth. MC-3 and older takes the pills, MC-4 has everything built in. You use a laptop to program it. I am not 100% sure but I think the MC-3 is like the MC-2&1 in that the timing is fixed. Normally you would use an external timing controller if you needed it. With the MC-4 you can do pretty much anything you want with the timing (the whole reason I upgraded).

If you did go this way, I don't know if they have a pickup you could use. If they don't you may be able to use a DynaTek pickup. Or you may have to custom make one. Dig into it.

Just seems 1000X over kill for a low compression street bike application. Save the $$$ and start thinking newer, bigger, faster, second bike!

Good luck!!

Comment

Your only going to get so much power out of a 400 and the gas milage is already great. 50+mpg Im sure.
            The MSD will overwork and ruin your stock stator and regulator.

A dyna S setup is really the only plausable upgrade. You will see a difference after switching from points to a Dyna S system for sure.

I saw Immediate starting, no missfires and better gas milage after switching my old KZ550 from points to Dyna S. Just sold it this past weekend by the way and the upgrade was a definate plus for the buyer.

It will have a hotter spark than stock and consistant timing at all rpm's and it also costs less than half of the MSD stuff. MSD with points is....sorry to say...dumb. Point bounce and scatter will fight against the MSD upgrade.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2007, 11:22 AM.

Comment

High output ign

I think I will skip the msd set up. I found the dyna s ign on cycle depot. They want $300 for the system. Does anyone know of a cheeper place to buy? I think that is the way to go since it eliminates the points. Thanks to everyone for the great info.
              Thanks
              Joey
              Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2007, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Heres the link. http://www.dynaonline.com/english/index.htm

Looks like DS3-3C is for you. Comes with coils.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2007, 03:06 PM.

Comment

High output ign

Thanks to all for the info. That should do the job nicely!\\/

Joey

Comment

Come to think of it. There is a guy on ebay that has a ebay store that sells new dyna stuff cheaper. just search "dynatek" on ebay and you'll be able to find him. Ask him about the part number you need, not the application as the part number is the same for several applications.

Comment

high output ign

Ill take a look at the e-bay stuff. What is the reliability of dynatec ignitions and how reliable would the old points style ign be if I stayed with it? I've never used dynatec before. How do ya'll like their products? Id hate to get halfway through the upcoming gs rally and have my ignition quit :shock: . ( that would be worst case) Does the primary resistance need to be 5 ohms or can I go down to 3 ohms with out stressing the electrical sys? Researching all my options, I also found an accell super coil kit. Which prompts the 3 ohm primary question.

Thanks
                      Joey

Comment

Installed correctly it is a bullet proof, forget it ignition. Its not really electronic ignition. its actually just another form of a trigger, same as points but only with magnets. sometimes you hear that guys have one bank or the other go out but thats usually on a set thats pretty old. 10 years or more. Hi heat is about all I can think of that might affect it. Same as anthing with solder joints and diodes.
                        Ive used the S on three bikes and I use a Dyna 2000 now which is a little more high zuit and adjustable. Never had a problem.

75% of the bikes at the GS rally will be running a dyna ignition.

You need to change to the matching dyna coils at 3 ohms. Mix matching only leaves you guessing later if something is weird.

They come in the kit. It should take bout an hour to install if you have a little mechanical ability. the instructions are almost too easy. Seems like it should be harder but its not.
                        oh ya. you'll need a set of plug wires too. Dyna has those also for about $20. and spark plug tip caps if you dont have them on the plugs already so the wires attach like a cars spark plugs.

Good Luck.

Comment

Z1enterprizes.com ????

Comment

Working...
                          X