NEW and alot to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW and alot to do

So last year I bought a gs750 77' well actually a 76' that is a 77' you know what I mean it only has one front disc brake and spoked wheels. In any case I love it to death the way it rides the power , more or less it is just awesome in general. I owned a gsf400 92' and a gsf1200s 01' and I like this bike best. Problem is between the previous owner and me it has come to a sorry state. I decided this season I am going to start it right and get things fixed, replaced, ect.

-Currently I am having a Dyan S system in with new coils and wires.
    -A tuneup valve check ect ect.
    -The head cleaned.
    -The bike is burning a tremendous amount of oil as of the begining of this year so depending on the condition of the walls and pistons I have to bore it anyways so if I have the money I intend to do the wiseco 844cc 2mm overbore kit
    -Carbs tuned
    -pod airfilters (simple emgos as the K&N counterparts are exspensive)
    -Vince and Hynes Exhaust 4 into 1
    -Allready has new sprockets and chain

Those are the things that have been done or are going to be done but I have some questions.

Is the wiseco big bore kit worth the money? Does anyone hear have it in a 1st gen 750?
    What else should I do while my mechanic is in there?

I want to do all new suspension , the back is crap and the front springs are way out of spec, even with fresh oil they are uber soft. What kind of front end swap can I do? And how hard is it? Also I want to change to the dual front disc brakes, what does that take to do? And I want new rims as the ones I have are spoked and I dont want to deal with that, I want something wider on the back end that has a fair number of tire options.

Also try and keep in mind that I am on a budget when giving suggestions as I am a college student and the stuff I am doing allready is breaking the bank but I cant go about leaving the bike half done.

Thanks is advance for any replys....o yeah and for reading through my long long post.

PS- I forgot I want to cafe out my bike so any suggestions or resources would also be greatly appreciated.

For running gear a cheap option would be swopping the entire front end for a one from a post 1982 gsx1100 ie the katana or ez model, use the whole lot combined with a the later model 19 " six spoke (non star type) front wheel that will take tubeless tyres.
    Combine it with a gsx1100 alloy swinging arm (all it needs to fit are new centre spacers ) and a matching pattern post 1984 17 x3.5 gsx1150 e rear rim.
    Add to that Pirelli Sport demon Tyres (100/90 v19 front and 140/80 v17 rear ) and it will transform the braking and handling yet look fairly standard.

Comment

Oops forgot to mention, why bother with a wiseco big bore kit fit a good s/hand the top end or barrels and pistons from a GS850 shaft drive. Instant power gain and using reliable standard parts. Or even better throw away the 750 engine and fit a good s/hand gs1000 motor .

Comment

To be honest I was actually looking for something a little less standard and more different (well vintage wise anyways) as far as the wheels are concerned but it does sound like a good option especially money wise.

And the thing is I am having a whole bunch of stuff done to the motor, and given that I like this bike and dont have alot of time I am going to pay to have it done with the head allready out and being cleaned I figured why not have the kit put in, given the condition of the cam chain it may turn into a full rebuild, in which case I may want to go another route engine wise, but we will see what happens once he takes it apart, IE tomorrow....:-D I am very excited.

Comment

The few bucks saved on cheapo pods will likely cost you....

a lot of performance, perhaps more than you gain with the bigger engine.
          They are not shaped right inside, the velocity stack shape is not right, and too small.
          Get K&Ns or stay at home.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I will get K&Ns eventually but lets see .... Emgo 30$ K&N 170$ just a bit of a difference

Comment

If you want to update the looks why not go for a 600 bandit front end and rear wheel ?
              Similar to stock but radial tyres, easily manageable if you have access to someone with a lathe to make up new spacers

Comment

Originally posted by Dizzixx View Post
                I will get K&Ns eventually but lets see .... Emgo 30$ K&N 170$ just a bit of a difference
                So keep the stock airbox for now.
                You want to go through all the tuning twice?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

And yeah I dont mind, because that is a ways out. So yeah I think I can justify that. And I am not the one tuning I am having it tuned, granted It will cost money to have tuned again, but sometimes it is really loose loose. And the stock airbox is damaged which is actually why I bought the pods in the first place.

And bandit 600 huh? Any year? And all you need is spacers? What about the rear end need do anything interesting there?

Comment

Complete front end of 600 bandit is a straight swap.
                    The rear wheel will need the brake disc ,caliper and torque arm and new spacers see the Old Skool Suzuki web site.

Comment

I like this idea the most. What do you mean by 'old skool suzuki website'?

Anyone have pictures of having done this? Is this a 'good' swap or just easy? And can you use any year gsf600?
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2007, 11:26 AM.

Comment

I was reading on a bandit forum after a quick search for the specified bandit 600 parts and supposedly the bandit series forks are interchangable....hmmm so could I in theory use a bandit 1200? Or is that just the tube diameter and the triple tree itself would not mate? And does a 1200 back end match up? I will probably find out for myself when I get my bike back from the shop as I have a 1200, will be measureing not taking apart. I ask because I would assume it would handle stress better, be stiffer, and the tires/wheels are bigger which is more of an asthetic thing at this point.

Also does anyone have shop manual .pdf's for the gs750 series I would need a 76/77' one.

Comment

Working...
                        X