Quicker throttle doohicky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quicker throttle doohicky

Thought maybe someone may be interested in this. I made one at work the other night to quicken up the throttle action. It does make the throttle a little stiffer, due to the decreased leverage, but wow, what a difference in "feel".
    I had to take some length out of the upper cable adjuster to get the free play right, but the whole installation took about 15 minutes. I can make up a simple blueprint if anyone is interested.

Installed on the tube:

While it doesn't look like much difference in these photos, it does really make the bike feel much different! It's like adding HP due to the feel of getting more throttle opening for the same twist.

Looks sweet! Got the dimensions handy for making one?

Comment

I'd like the specs too!
      1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
      The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

I'm interested too. I've been looking for a quick action throttle for mine but proper racing ones are out of my budget.

looks like a neat solution.

Comment

I like stiffer throttle feel. I put a couple throttle springs linking my throttle linkage to something on the bike, i forgot what. I eventually took it off because the point was to free up the throttle because it was sticking and the previous owner didnt take care of the bike. When i took it off it was butter, but i still like the throttle stiffer.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeystew0 View Post
            I'm interested too. I've been looking for a quick action throttle for mine but proper racing ones are out of my budget.

looks like a neat solution.
            They are big bucks, and most are too quick for my tastes. If the action is too fast, it seems to get harder to maintain a steady on/off throttle in tricky corners or when just cruising. Or maybe I'm just ham-fisted!

Anyway, here is a quicky photoshop print I made up: There's room for a bigger O.D., but the throttle is already stiffer with 1.5", and I'm afraid any bigger would be too much. Oh, and I just eyeballed the angles with a belt sander.

Comment

Hmm, i wonder if you could use a bicycle headset spacer. What is that made out of?

Comment

Aluminum...

Comment

Originally posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
                  Hmm, i wonder if you could use a bicycle headset spacer. What is that made out of?

I used 1.5" aluminum stock, bored it on the lathe and cut it off at .3 thick. Then I used the band saw to cut the notch out, and angled the ends with the belt sander. I'm not sure how I would do it if I wasn't a machinist... spoiled I guess. There is probably something out there that would be close and could be modified in the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by AOD View Post
                    Aluminum...
                    well g, i could have guessed that. I didnt know if he bought it as a pipe or what.

Comment

Wow, cool doo-hicky.
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I thinks its ingenious. I would have never thought of that. Anything else youve made that improves the GS? Maybe you should go into business :-D

Comment

Originally posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
                          well g, i could have guessed that. I didnt know if he bought it as a pipe or what.
                          A guy could probably get a machine shop to make a blank .300 thick with the center bored out fairly cheap - It only took me about 10 minutes on the lathe. The notch could be cut with a hacksaw and a vise in the garage, and the angles don't even really need to be there. You could even get fancy with a round needle file and make a little notch on the edge for the cable to run in.

Comment

Perfect. After breaking my wrist I don't have the same travel I used to. ;-) As if my mom wants me to be able to get full throttle....
                            You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                            If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                            1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                            1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                            1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                            1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                            1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Working...
                            X