PROJECT: Building the Ultimate GS1100E Street Fighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PROJECT: Building the Ultimate GS1100E Street Fighter

GOAL: I want to build a GS1100E into the ultimate Street Fighter that it can be while continuing to be streetable and running on premium fuel. I want the best performance that I can get while maintaining both streetability and reliability.

TIMELINE: In the not too distant future I want to either take my GS1100E and build it up or buy another one for the project.

IDEAS: Big bore kit, Mikuni RS36 carbs (perhaps RS40 will be needed for the bigger bore), Dyna S Ignition, Dyna coils, performance plug wires, welded clutch basket, welded 29mm crank, ported and polished head, aftermarket cams, top end oiler, 530 chain conversion and, um, bigger brakes. I think I'll be needing them.

SUGGESTIONS: I'd like to gather everyone's ideas about the best size bore to go with and the other go fast goodies that go with it. Who's a reputable builder? Should I go with bigger intake and/or exhaust valves? What size cams should I go with? Etc, etc.

The first thing I'd start with is the 5.5 rim upgrade with a 170 or 180 sticky tire and the 530 conversion since you'll be working in that area. See Katman thread, he has some good stuff !!!!

The reason I say start with the rear tire is cause after a few mods you'll be spinning the small oem tire on the street alot. Plus it will look real cool when your're parked.

Then I'd go with,

14 tooth sprocket up front

38cv carbs off a old 750 if you can find a set. I've used them on my 1166 and 1395 motor's and they are just a few tenths off of my 40mm lectrons when I run them. Forget what I said about the carbs I see you already have some 36's \\/

With just those's you should be able to scare yourself to death. If you want more I would go with a 1150 head or port your's. I think a 1166cc's would be the best choice for power and heat cause the bigger you go the hotter they run. PS a oil cooler would be nice too.
    Last edited by RacingJake; 04-05-2007, 08:04 PM.
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

well, if you want to build a motor for it (mine is fresh but stock)
      mine's got the AFAM 530 offset sprocket conversion, new DID gold chain,
      3in. over swingarm so won't be wheelie prone, 5.5 wheel rear/3.5 front with Bigger brakes,
      sticky tires, even has great paint and chrome,solo seat, pipe,lower bars...
      all you'd need is a monster engine :-D

Comment

Sounds like a great project, I've got a soft spot for handbuilt streetfighters, and this thread's been bookmarked. :-D

I'd recommend getting the suspension and brakes sorted out first before adding more power. Like the Pirelli slogan says - "Power is nothing without control." A GSXR front end with the better brakes and a braced GSXR swingarm/5.5" rear/180 radial/GSXR rear brake in the rear would sort things out nicely. Do you want to monoshock the bike or keep/upgrade the stock rear shocks?

You may also want to brace the frame a bit to help it cope with the added stress of a hopped up motor and new, stickier running gear.

After the running gear and frame's sorted, then add all those trick go-fast goodies. :-D
        Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2007, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Solo's Bike

Solo,

Your bike is great and I actually have pictures of it that I saved some time ago because I liked the look and the mods. Shipping from Canada to California would be a killer though. I'm not quite ready to buy anotehr bike as work is just now beginning to pick up and I have to replenish my rather depleted savings before embarking upon this adventure. If you still have the bike when I'm ready we might be able to work something out provided I could get a fair price on getting the bike to me. ~Gene

Comment

See if this fits the bill as far as suspension, brakes, and cosmetics go. The engine is stock except for Dynojetted carbs and header. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=101866

Comment

Thanks 80GS1000

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
              Sounds like a great project, I've got a soft spot for handbuilt streetfighters, and this thread's been bookmarked. :-D

I'd recommend getting the suspension and brakes sorted out first before adding more power. Like the Pirelli slogan says - "Power is nothing without control." A GSXR front end with the better brakes and a braced GSXR swingarm/5.5" rear/180 radial/GSXR rear brake in the rear would sort things out nicely. Do you want to monoshock the bike or keep/upgrade the stock rear shocks?

You may also want to brace the frame a bit to help it cope with the added stress of a hopped up motor and new, stickier running gear.

After the running gear and frame's sorted, then add all those trick go-fast goodies. :-D
              I agree with your recommendations, and those made earlier in the thread, on the first things to start with on the bike. I will do some searching on the rear wheel changeover. Right now I have Performance Machine Chicanes (3.5 front, 4.5 rear) on the bike, which I would like to put on my Katana. I would like some nicely polished or black GSXR wheels, the directional ones, on the GS1100E.

I would like to see some big meat under the bike. I have a 150/70V-18 Metzeler Marathon on the back right now. I search for which swingarm is the best in the forum archives. From what I already looked up it seems switching the rear caliper under is the way to make the swingarm work and enable the use of a larger tire size.

I am considering about going to a monoshock for the bike; however, I would need to have someone else fab it up as I haven't got the expertise in that area that I would need for such a task. The only thing that I worry about in terms of going with a monoshock is rear end flex. Ideally I'd like to take the bike down to the frame, video documenting as I go along so I know how to put the thing back together, you know this blue wire goes here type of stuff.

Once down to the fram I'd like to strip it and then brace it and grind down and reweld the factory welds to a nice uniform bead. My concern in this regard is stressing the metal and weakening it. Then powder coat the frame and start building the bike with either replaced, rebuilt or repainted parts until the bike is complete and looks better than new. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do all of that in the near future or not. Work, kids, and a fiance' take up most of my time now and I'm trying to get a children's book I'm writing completed with the illustrations that I am working on. ~Gene

Comment

Rj

Originally posted by RJ View Post
                See if this fits the bill as far as suspension, brakes, and cosmetics go. The engine is stock except for Dynojetted carbs and header. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=101866
                Thanks for the link. I have all the info on your bike saved as well as pics. You managed to do an outstanding job and it must be a real sense of accomplishment being on that side of things.

Comment

Working...
                X