GS1100e Heavy Rider Set Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
    Ahhh, Duke has some good advice, but I think it's a little overboard. These bike benefit nicely from some inexpensive suspension upgrades. My bike has progressive fork springs ($65) with custom pvc spacers to create some added preload. Mine are 1.5" as I recall. I have Spectro 15w fork oil and no air in the shocks. On the rear I bought some MDI shocks for $89, complete with springs. They are pretty heavily sprung as is. I stick with stock sizes for the tires, but good rubber, right now I have Dunlop D404's which are ok. And if you think you can't corner well with that setup, ask some of the GSR boys here I have rode with for the past 6 years. I can ride pretty much to the fullest of the engine's potential, peg draggin', center stand scraping excitement.
    Yep that sounds like the kinda thing I'm looking for.Do the spacers make a big difference to your setup?Did you make and install them yourself?

Comment

Jethro hit it right I've done all the same mods and ride quality is firm but good. The fork oil viscosity and level are things you can play with to fine tune the ride and dive. It's amazing how much difference 5cc of oil in a fork can make

Comment

Originally posted by gsforme View Post
        Yep that sounds like the kinda thing I'm looking for.Do the spacers make a big difference to your setup?Did you make and install them yourself?
        Yes I did. Honestly it's nothing more than a piece of 3/4" schedule 80 PVC plumbing pipe that is 1 1/2" inch long. Placed between the top of the fork spring and the cap beneath the stock preload adjuster. I actually have the preload adjuster in the middle instead of maxed out like before.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Try the Progressive front springs before you go swapping forks. You may like them and decide you don't need the newer forks.

~Adam

Comment

Any have instructions on changing the springs/seals/oil?

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
              Yes I did. Honestly it's nothing more than a piece of 3/4" schedule 80 PVC plumbing pipe that is 1 1/2" inch long. Placed between the top of the fork spring and the cap beneath the stock preload adjuster...
              When I bought my Progressive springs they came with two 6" PVC spacers that I cut to suit my needs. Worked slick as hot snot!

Comment

Originally posted by fastkatanaboy View Post
                Any have instructions on changing the springs/seals/oil?

Springs and oil are a no brainer. I would also like some encouragement (help) with the seals and head bearings.

As far as being a heavyweight on an 1100E I have some catching up to do. :-D
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                X