Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madjack57754 View Post
    I'm ordering falicons complete super crank with the heavy duty rods
    From one end of the spectrum to the other!!! LOL! Nothing wrong with overkill in my book as long as you have the resources to do it.

Are you going to use their clutch? I have heard stories (I have nothing to back this up at all) of guys that will not mix and match the gears because of tolerence probems. I would ask them what they think about it. Post what you hear, I would be interested. I have a set of Falicon gears and MTCs but I had them built as sets and don't mix them up.

Comment

I'll post what I find on the mix/match gear sets.
      I usually have Ward do my machine work because we raced and pitted together in years past. Called and talked to rick about my crank late yesterday(sunday), and it was his thoughts to go with Falicon, so thats what I'll do. The crank is spendy but quality costs and I knew this going in.
      I'm thinking it could be deductible as office equipment

Comment

The crank is where your money should go. If you break the crank it could take your whole motor out. I'm all for doing the bottom end right. Especially if you can afford it.

Comment

Taxes and hobbies, sounds like a new forum.

Ryan almost had an old Falicon crank. That's a good story! I wonder what ever happened to that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by madjack57754 View Post
            I tore it down because the cam chain broke. It bent 7 valves, broke 3 rockers, screwed up the guides, broke the cast guide pocket that the chain guide sits in. Heres the worst part.....It wasn't running when all this damage occurred.
            Long story short... the clutch started slipping, so I tipped it on it's side using a tiedown from the handle bars to the garage rafters to lean it way over. I pulled the clutch cover, adjusted the lockup and put it back together. I pushed the starter button and all I got was a click. Being the rocket scientist that I am, I figured tipping it had caused something to come adrift. Everything had power except the starter wouldn't spin. Living on a real big hill I coasted it down and let the clutch out. All the broken parts are the result. The autopsy reveled that there was a cam sprocket bolt wedged between the sprocket for the cam on the crank and the care bottom. In 27 years the cases have never been apart, all four of the sprocket bolts are still in the proper place. What I figure happened is during assembly in Nippon one of the gnomes got fat fingered and dropped a bolt down the tower. It must have dropped off to one side and lodged there. When I tipped the bike way over like I did, the lost bold found it's way into the cam chain.... Bing bang boom..... blown up motor while not running and thats why I split the cases
            I've been off site for the last week and have just read this. What a bummer!! You're probably right about that tired little Nippon. Makes you want to "kick his ass till his nose bleeds", don't it?

Wide sticky rubber + huge torque causes much clutch slip. Once clutch is fixed (beefed up), causes extreme loads on transmission/crankshaft/conrods.

You've got to spend the big bucks to get it to last. Sounds like you're starting in the right area. Let the spending begin.
            :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

just had my 81 crank rebuilt with new bearings,s/c gear,welded,new left end, and balanced by GRC.I was reminded by stan that the 81 had a hollow left end and is the weakest of the gs 1100 cranks,the 83+ cranks are more likely to take more abuse in stock form.

Comment

Two years and over 200hp on the rear wheel was cause for concern. When I opened the block NOTHING inside this 26 year old GSX was worn enough to have the need to be replaced. Certainly the helical gears were fine. I use this a streetbike. Don't fit the other gears, just meticulously rebuild it into std. state with new seals and the odd new ball bearing.
                Oh and my crank is welded, a little bonus already in when I got it.

Marco.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2007, 02:55 PM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Working...
                X