Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002 GSXR 1000 Swing arm on my 79 1000?

What are the chances that it would fit?
    A 2002 GSXR 1000 swing arm onto my 79 GS1000 frame without having to do huge mods.
    Anyone here done a mod with same or similar yrs peices? I've heard so often of the early 90"s slipping right in there...

I should clarify that I do intend to need to rework the shock(s) set up and alignment/sprocket/wheel etc - I'm just wondering if the pivot will fit in there.
    Any info greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2007, 09:05 AM. Reason: spllelingg

I have a 98 GSXR 600 arm on my 81 gs 750. the front of the arm is a big cast part .i had to widen the frame 3/4" at the lower motor mount to get it to fit and make spacers for the bolt that goes thru it .there was no room for the stock rear brake master cylinder so i mounted it on the pasenger peg mount. you will have to relocate the battery also thats where the shock will go.

Comment

Originally posted by justin caise View Post
      A 2002 GSXR 1000 swing arm onto my 79 GS1000 frame without having to do huge mods.
      Anyone here done a mod with same or similar yrs peices? I've heard so often of the early 90"s slipping right in there...

I should clarify that I do intend to need to rework the shock(s) set up and alignment/sprocket/wheel etc - I'm just wondering if the pivot will fit in there.
      Do you already have the swingarm? I'm in the process right now of converting to a 2006 GSXR 1000 swingarm. It fit great at the pivot- both are 225 mm at the pivot.

I had to have a few spacers made up so the stock pivot bolt would work inside the GSXR swingarm. They're the ones with the flange on the end.

For a 6" rear rim (YMMV with a 5.5", haven't tried that):

530/520 chain conversion is REQUIRED, as is a 5/8" offset front sprocket. You'll need to chop off a bit from your rear sprocket carrier to get the chain to line up, and possibly get some new wheel spacers made up to ensure chain/wheel alignment.

Because of the bracing and shape of these swingarms, you'd have a hard time making the twinshock setup work, and you might as well take advantage of the monoshock anyway if you're going through the trouble of doing this. So, a couple new frame members and bracing are required to mount the shock, as is battery/electronics relocation. I'm fabbing those up and welding those in soon (hopefully this week) so I'll post pics when they're done.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2007, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks Larry and thanks 80,
        I haven't gotten a new swing arm yet - just looking.
        I can now see by your pix (side view) why a dual shock mod would be difficult. And the one I was looking at only shows from the top so I hadn't noticed the lack of horizontal "meat" on the newer swingarms on which to weld up shock mounts. I think that there are a few years there where the arms did have some space available, and it was pointed out to me that these are rather hard to come by. Maybe if I get my way (New TIG welder) I'll go nuts and build myself one.
        ... but for the moment I should probably focus on the necc stuff like getting the pig running again.
        I'll soon be posting a new thread in the Help-me-before-I-go-insane-and-toss-this-bike-off-of-a-cliff section entitled something like "Ignition: why me?" or "So this is why people buy new" or "Should I just move to a downhill only town?" or "The joys of motorcycling: a realists view"

The above commentary is a product of an overactive writers urge, is intended entirely as jockularity, and should not be viewed as indicative of the authors true feelings.. at the moment, anyway.

Comment

It's not so much the width of the swingarm members as they're actually much thicker than their GS counterparts, it's the fact that the bracing would get in the way of welding on the shock mounts. It'd be tough to find a straight line big enough to bolt up the shocks from the shock mounts on the swinger to the shock mounts on the frame. That and the fact that even if you succeeded at that, the chain would threaten to saw the swinger in half. The swingarm MUST be angled downward for chain clearance, which requires the monoshock conversion as far as I can tell as the stock/aftermarket twin shocks aren't long enough.

Solo Suzuki from here on the GSR used a '90s GSXR 1100 swingarm for his 1100, and it looks trick with the twin shocks. http://www.bottinbranche.com/solosuz...inFrameset.htm

Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2007, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justin caise View Post

Hey Justin this is what I did to my bike, it might help you out a little.
            http://gsmods.no-ip.info/MONO-SHOCK_CONVERTION.html

Comment

It can be done......

Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2007, 09:09 PM.

Comment

2002 Bandit swingarm polished on an 83 E, Katman knows all the specs!!!
                Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2007, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogri View Post
                  It can be done......
                  Very nice. Is that a GT? And what kind of swingarm are you using? And are those chain runners to keep the chain from hitting the frame?

Comment

Thank you.
                    Yes, it is a GT, but the width of the frame at the swingarm mount are the same as the GS.
                    It is a swingarm from a 2004 GSXR.
                    I modified the runner that is on the GSXR swingarm and made it a smaller, and I have a runner made to keep the chain off of the shift shaft. The chain drags slightly on the frame, but I purchased a HD chain that is a bit wide. I should have gone with a standard chain or a 520 conversion.

Comment

Working...
                    X