Track stories 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Track stories 2007

We'll finally got out for the first time. Spent some time messing around with the slider clutch to get it set how I wanted it. First pass off the button I ran a 5.97 @113 mph in the eigth. It ran a 1.31 60' time. I was trying to remember. This may be my best eight mile time to date. I didn't run it any further because I don't have my fairing back from the painter. I wasn't sure how the bike would act without the fairing on it. I think I'm going to like this slider clutch. It was very smooth off the line.

There were alot of bikes out there today. There was even a guy testing some kind of a pro fuel harley. Smelled like nitro and he was wearing a bullet proof vest. Ill try and get some video of his first pass up later.

How did everyone else do? Any other personal bests?

That is great Ryan, thumbs up!!!

At what rpm where you launching at??? I bet you'll find some more speed once you get use to it.

I'm still in the "working the bugs out mode"
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Let's see, the weather was fantastic. I think it was the only T&T before the season starts so many of the points people showed, but so did a lot of the Friday night crowd. It was packed. Shorts and T-shirts were common.

The new trailer performed flawless. If pulls with no problem behind the little Escape. Loading and unloading the bike is no problem with the 4X4 blocks. But, I guess you want to know about the bike.....

The bike and rider were another matter. I could not hit a light if I was paid a $10000000000. And yes as a matter of fact, I set a new record alright.....

I made some changes over winter to fatten her. Last year I could not get enough fuel into it (lost a motor if you don't remember). Towards the end of the year I finally put it into the 8's with 15 or so pounds of boost and she was lean.

I made 4 passes. It was just too busy and the track was only open for 6 hours. A lot of roundy rounders there with their street cars.

Boy did I make her fat. I had changed the turbo, dropped 2 teeth off the rear, bigger needle jet, bigger main jet, added my auxillary spray jet, changed electronics, switched to N2O shifting and to top it all off I changed the fuel.

Before taking her I had drilled a new needle jet and tried it. It was so rich the bike would not hardly run. The NGKs didn't foul LOL.. Had to 2nd day air a new set in to make sure I had something to try. Upped it 2 sizes and off we went.

I turned the boost way down to start with and she hardly made enough power to heat the tire up in the box. Then she wouldn't shift (suspect the clutch). She turns a 1.59 short, 6.29 @ 114 1/8 and 9.81 @ 130. I pulled the plugs and the heat line never even made it to the threads.

Pulled the carb, dropped the main down to something more normal then I added a few pounds of boost. Round 2, she still does not shift right (double shifts) and bogs big time off the line. I was running against a little street bike and I decided to go after it. She runs a 2.28 short 6.62 @ 125 and 9.70 @ 150.

Checked the plugs and this time ....... there was little change. Still cold as ice. It's like a whole new beast. So I pull the carb and drop the main. It's now smaller than I ever ran with this engine. I up the boost a little more to try and get her nose up.

Ok here comes the part about the new record.

I take her back up. She is still sluggish in the burnout box. Then, I don't know what came over me but my finger slips off the button. I'm not even on the 2-step. Bike really falls and again, I'm running a street bike so I have to hunt them down... Why can't I just give it up?? LOL. She runs a 2.17 short time to his 2.19 (a couple of beginners LOL) and I end up running a 10.84 @ 151.

Oh yea the record. Well, when My finger slipped my tickets reaction time says LB3A. I have never seen this code and assume it was the worst light known to mankind.

Back to the trailer, pull the plugs. Still way rich. This time I keep the jetting because the next size is way smaller. I decide to up the boost. I run let one more street bike and this time I keep my finger on the button. Cut a steller 0.66 light. Bike gets out of the groove and gets a 1.51 short, 6.21 @ 122 1/8. Crap no shift. I back off the throttle and get a 9.6 @ 135.

Some video. At least the paint looks good. LOL.
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Sounds like I'm not the only one still in test and tune mode. But I have a good feeling you'll get it all sorted out very soon Mark, then you'll be setting that track on fire.......... Is your system a draw or blow through?

Oh bye the way I'll take that 6.62 if you don't want it.

Comment

Thanks for the boost. Ryan has the package to beat for now. He really did do a nice job with that setup and I hope he will post it at some point.

How old is your slick? What brand / compound?

The setup is a Mr. Turbo draw kit I bought in the early 80's. Many of the parts are still the original ones.

Sounds like everyone is alive still, except Bob. Where R U Bob??? Did you let your dad take the bike for a spin to see if he really likes it?

Comment

Once I get some testing on it I'l probably put it out there for others to see.

With the slider I'm launching down at 4800 rpm. A 5.97 in the 1/8th should have been low to mid 9.50's in the 1/4. I'm hoping to get out saturday and make some full passes. Hopefully the weather holds out for us.

Comment

How about alittle NOS Ryan........ that should put you in the 8's

Hey Mark it's the M/T standard 7" slick, not to sure about the compound. But I'm about down to the wear holes in the middle.

Going to try it again soon.. me thinks the track prep may be part of the problem too.

Comment

Points start next weekend, so I am back to pit man for now.

Any interest in running used tires?

Comment

Here is that harley that was out last weekend.

Finally got my fairing.

Comment

Heard some talk about our track had some money come up missing, some watering down of the traction compound, etc. So last night when I staged my boots where sticking to the track and I said what the heck is going on. Didn't even spin once off the line. Maybe it's new management or VHT is back anyhow I love it, track hasn't stuck like that in a long time.

I got down to a 7.12 and 102 mph, now that the track is good I can start changing the gearing and advance the intake cam and get back in the 6's.

Comment

The fairing looks good on there. More sleek than the old one. Did you get any chances to make some full passes with it?

Almost into the 6's again! Won't be much longer now. Any thought on the used tires? I would need to take a look to see what sort of condition they are in but normally we change them before they are wore out.

We had a good turnout for the bikes. A lot of guys showed up from the other local tracks from both Michigan and Indiana. Glad to see them all come. They brought some fierce compitition. Great weather. Air was real good. Nothing scary to report. The kid took the win.

Comment

It was cold and rainy. They were open from 10-5. I stayed home watching it rain. Called the track at 11:30 and was advised they were also watching it rain, but would probably call it in an hour. Later a friend called me and said they got on the track by 2. He made 8 passes in 2 hours. I stayed home.

We start points next Saturday. I'm going to try and go out wednesday. The track should be good enough to get a pass or two in.

I like the fairing alot. The top of it is shifted slightly to the left. The left side of the screen is slightly higher than the right side. The bottom of the fairing is centered and level. I never noticed it until I put it on painted. Wish I would have noticed it earlier. I'm not sure that others would notice it unless I pointed it out. Not sure what I can do about it at this point.

Comment

I went out tonight and made 3 passes. The 60' was awesome.
                          pass#1 1.327
                          pass#2 1.326
                          Pass #3 1.329

Here is a vid of the bike leaving. Ran a 9.63 @133. 3 more times back to the pits no problems.

Comment

With those numbers I expect BIG things from you this year!!! The video looks great but we would love to see the new hardware in action. Maybe take a weekend off and bring the family to one of the all bike events at Martin.

After watching the video... You are now running the 1100 crank gear and I assume the stock transmission ratios. What sprockets are you using? In the video that rear looks like it is near 50.

4/30/2007
                            CURRENT & PAST TRACK CHAMPIONS WASTE NO TIME

Under much anticipated sunny skies, racers at Knoll Gas Motorsports Park at US 131 completed its first of 17 scheduled points races in the Lane Edelbrock Bracket Racing Series. There were some new cars, some new paint and some new engines. However, not new to the Engine Pro Winner’s Circle were Saturday’s winners that included current and past champions.

Not wasting any time in earning their victories were Rusty Baad of Kalamazoo in Top ET, Rick Wanamaker of Kalamazoo in Modified, Tyler Fisher of Bridgeman in Motorcycle and Jessie Horvath of South Bend , Indiana in Beginner Jr. Dragster. Saturday’s winners also included Daniel Smith of Belmont in Street and Lyndsi Stockwell of Kalamazoo in Advanced Jr. Dragster.

Each winner and runner-up in all six classes took part in the Lane Automotive/Crane Cams bonus money by entering into the season points program and running the Lane Automotive decals on their vehicles. In another bonus program, new to 2007, is the Performance Engineering “Slow Hand Award.” This is a $250 certificate for labor, to Performance Engineering of Jenison, that is given to the driver with the slowest winning reaction time, green light starts only, during first round in the Top ET and Modified classes. The competitor must be entered into the season points program and run the Performance Engineering decals to be eligible.

Fisher Body Shop Motorcycles - Tyler Fisher of Bridgeman, 8.787, 133.97 mph def. Bob Foster Jr. of Lansing, IL, 8.907, 144.16 mph. Semifinalist Mike Krueger of Lowell , IN.

Motorcycle - 2007 Points
                            1 3021 Tyler Fisher 51
                            2 4X47 Bob Foster, Jr. 41
                            3 1X03 Mike Krueger 31
                            4 3218 Jerry Dekam 21
                            5 2260 Doug Fisher 21
                            6 8X18 Bob Foster, Sr. 11
                            7 1951 Barry Zink 11
                            8 UX33 B.C. Carl 11
                            9 UX05 Jeff Green 11
                            10 394 Bruce Risher 11
                            11 161 John Brodie 1
                            12 3669 Steve Kintner 1
                            13 911 Doug Stull 1
                            14 4026 Mary Stull 1
                            15 3817 Carlos Guzman 1
                            16 165 Tim Sullivan 1
                            17 750 Jeff Eurich 1
                            18 1770 Scott VanderYacht 1
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2007, 11:25 AM.

Comment

When I did the conversion from the 750 primary to the 1100 primary I figured I was right between a 48 and a 49 tooth rear sprocket. I went with the 48. I guess maybe I should have went with the 49. It used to go thru the traps at about 9700 or so. I'm guessing it's probably there or maybe lower. I would need to lower the shift light for the sixth gear shift to see exactly where I'm at. Now I've got the light set at 10,000 for the non-existant 6th gear and I never see it.

I would come up there, but I think I'm going to stay away from that kid. He sounds real tough. Oour first points meet is Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                              X