No announcement yet.

Track stories 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yee haw, two new kids with bike racing genetic codes!! Glad to hear everything went well!

Today was a bust. We got our second time trial in, then the rain hit. At Martin, they will call the race at any sign of rain. I guess they don't like to pay to dry the track and prep it. Rain lasted about 30 minutes then the sun was out.

Took the old girl on Friday and about the time I was getting ready to pack up, a family shows up with an on Triumph drag bike. The rider hand built the bike, frame and all, back in the 70's. I bet the slick was 3" wide. Handle bars mounted below the tree and stretched way out (I was surprized they let him run it as this has been out lawed for some time) Even the rear sprocket was hand made! The bike had not been started since the early 80s. I was luckey to get to see it run. Wish I had the camera.

Also had a group come over from Detroit area. A lot of nice equipment. All newer Busa stuff.

I am at my witts end with the old girl. I plan to swap the turbo for next week. Pressure comes up fast but it acts like it has a major leak or the waste gate is set wrong. I think it may be a clearence problem with the turbin and / or compressor.

I made 4 passes with her. One pass I lined up with the lady from Detroit. Her husband was telling her to take me down. Its fun to talk s hit in the lanes. Wouldn't you know it, the boost fell flat coming off the line. She had me to the 60' (1.64 to her 1.62). By the 330 I was starting to pull away with a 4.24 to her 4.51. Then she missed a gear and that was that. I ran a 9.446 @ 156 MPH. Later she came over and wanted a second shot at me. She said she was starting to gain on me when she missed the gear. I had to chicken out. By this time the sun was down and dew was setting in. My last pass was not very streight and I couldn't hold it in the groove. I told her my last pass was 60' 1.358, 1/8 5.545, 1/4 8.6552 @ 156.23. Not bad power for the little boost she's able to make.

The same set of plates have been in it for 9 passes. For me, this is unheard of. That MTC clutch is great!! Not sure which was the best buy, it or that RDB quick access cover. Both were well worth the price! Friday I ran a 1.338, 1.340, 1.640 and 1.358. Throw out the no boost run. Definantly slowing as the clutch wears but I think once I get it all set it will group tighter.

Comment

Here you go. A compilation video from the 2007 Gasser Reunion at Thompson Raceway Park. It's about 18mb. All cars no bikes. 1967 and older.

Comment

Top notch as always!!

Comment

Well good news.....I got the scooter runnin' last night\\/

What a pain having the scooter quit at the track....lucky one of the guys brings two....

Carb just needed cleanin'....main jet all plugged up...
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I haven't been out to the track since 5/13. Looks like I may be in luck this weekend.

Saturday, Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 70s and lows in the upper 50s.

Comment

What ever happened to our friend Jake? He hasn't checked in for a while.

June 24th is coming up. Hope to see you there. Even if you don't race it should be a good showing of bikes.

After sorting out all the fuel and shift problems, I have been chasing a boost problem. Last weekend I pulled out all the stops and still limited boost. Tore it down over the week, eat some more humble pie and learned a few more lessons from the turbo master.

I think the track workers must really wonder. I come in one week and can't hit the 9's. Next week I'm in the mid 8's, then next week its 10s, then 8's...... Like the bike and rider are bipolar. Maybe I am, but the bike isn't. She's just going thru the change....

....The 7 second change!!!!

I think I am close now. Terry has given me the offical "Hold on" green light.

Good luck and be safe this weekend.

Comment

Well I'm not dead yet and so much for not winning the Lottery.

Finally got around and made it out to the track, bike was running 3 tenths slower since last time out and I think that was caused by me using a different mech advance and timing was around 32 degrees as compared to my normal 38 degrees. So looks like I'll be changing it tormorrow.

I did have a ignition lead problem as I keep droping # 4 cylinder so I changed out my leads and the world was better.

A friend slowed up with a Zx1400 and has run a best of 6.10's with a few of Brocks goodies, look like I was the only Suzuki guy untill a guy with a 109 slowed up and he was running 8 flat at 88 mph.

Still got some tuning to due, like 350 cams and I sure do need to change out this 42 rear sprocket cause my 60 ft are still in the hole. I don't have much of a selection in the 530 area, may try a 45 tooth off the Bandit.

Hope you guys are doing better
                1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Well thanks to Lecroy's spreadsheet....I'm gonna be trying out a new sprocket set next weekend.
                  First race of the 2WheelSpeed series up at Byron.

Put the new rear sprocket on last night....lost about an inch of wheelbase, but I'd rather not buy a new chain....

Got a few little details to work on before then...hope we get good weather...:-D
                  Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Just got done swapping out the mech advance and the bike runs much better, don't asked me why cause it's only a few degrees more ???. It only has one weight that has been grounded down to allow more advance cause I broke off the stop on the other side.

Even pulled off the 38cv's and the 40 lectrons popped right into the oem boots. Looking forward to next weekend.
                    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

We'll I went 4 rounds for the win Saturday night. During my time off I put in a set of the 360 lift megacycle cams. I wanted to pick up a little bit of et and MPH. The air wasn't that great and the bike seemed to run about what it would if we had good air. In the final I cut a 512 light to his 499 red,. I saw the red light so I put my head down behind the fairing, usually look over the top, to see what I could get out of it. Ran 5.95 @114 in the 1/8th and 9.481 @? in the 1/4. The mph wasn't working for some reason. The temp. had gone down to 58 deg. and the humidity was at 61%.

Comment

Good to have oyu back with us Jake! Was starting to wonder. I have two old mechanical advancers if you need one to chop up.

Hope the spreadsheet helps. If you ever go to an MTC multi-stage you have all of my math for it. I just don't know if it is right or not. LOL

Congrats on the win! I hear ya on the humidity. By 8:00 Friday we were at 40% at 70 deg. Every weigh yourself before and after a day of racing? Was the 9.481 the quickest you ahve run with it?

I was not expecting much on Friday because so many kids show up with their street cars and the track prep is not the greatest after hours. I started out with the boost turned all the way down. Just getting a bearing on my old turbo versus the eBay one. Was expecting see a low 10 high 9 pass, but she pulls off an 8.7. I still have the same clutch plates in and she broke into the 2s with a 1.279. So, maybe the track was going away, not the clutch.

I was able to make 4 passes with her. The sun was down on the last pass and the guy next to me was saying that the track was going away. I dropped the tire pressure to 5PSI and adjusted the wastegate another turn. She ended up just shy of where I had been running with the other turbo. Made my best run ever of 1.2919 5.4159 @ 128.23 8.5348 @ 155.19. Plenty of room to play with the turbo now. Next step is to adjust the bars to get some weight transfer and add one more shim to the clutch. I have a record 13 passes on this pack now. New parts should be in on Monday for the other turbo....

Saturday was our worst day yet this year. The big bike was puffing blue smoke. Then the kids MSD shift light died. Then the auto died on the big bike and we jacked the tranny. Kid fell to a guy with a 5.04 bulb. Team Green went on to win it. On the plus side, the jet cars were fun to watch!

Comment

My fastest passes prior to this were 5.98 in the 1/8th and 9.53 in the 1/4. I'm concerned I may have too much duration for my low compression setup with these cams. I'm also wondering about lobe centers. The megacycle book shows 108IN-112EX. The paperwork I got with the cams shows 108-108. In talking with another racer he said to try lower numbers to increase the pressure I'm losing due to the long duration/low compression. I set them at 108.5In-109.75Ex. The intake valves are about 50thou from the pistons. The exhaust valves are no where near the pistons.

Comment

What's you plan then? Are you wanting to go faster now?

As a side note, we turned up the kids bike (he wanted to go faster) last week. The bike did not repeat as good, then we had the rain. This week, same results. I think we are right on the edge of how much power he can plant with that 7" tire and be consistant. And we all know, that's what pays the bills in E/T class.

I can't be of much help setting up the cams. Until a few months ago I had no idea that so many people had so many different ways to degree them. I asked Terry point blank how he degrees his. I then used the same technique and gained about 10PSI cranking pressure.

Comment

Video from last weekend testing the new setup. With the last clutch settings I red light every time. Just ignore it. LOL

The Busa was stock. Rider was maybe in the 170 pound range. He ran a 10.1488 on this pass, which was pretty good I thought. He cut a .5851 and that .1 second head start makes it look worse than it was.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

That vid doesn't seem to be working.

I wanna see, I wanna see

Comment

Working...
                                X