No announcement yet.

Track stories 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It burnt a ditch in the head and burnt the block between the sleeve and cam chain tunnel it went a 6.20@121mph the pass before

Comment

Copper base, o-ringed, moly studs, FBG nuts, all the standard stuff. Took the o-ring with it. When you lean out, there can be some major pressures going on. The head and crank appear fine. Pistons and sleeves, not so good.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-18-2008, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Man Larry, I feel for ya. If your like me, you can't let little set backs like this get ya down. Sounds like yours may have detonated. Do you know why it happened yet? Also, my friends seem to blow up a lot of stuff. Heads are no exception. I am always impressed with the work FBG has done on them. They will weld up the head and cut in a whole new combustion chamber and then match the porting.

Did lea'r'n a couple more things from this one. First, my memory is starting to fade from age, booze, other.

Second and more important, the two inside cylinders can run much leaner than the outside ones with higher boost pressures on this particular motor. New rule, Always check every plug to make sure things are not over heating.

This is the plug from where the gasket came apart and the outside one next to it.
        Last edited by Guest; 12-18-2008, 12:23 PM.

Comment

I know what happen . Jetted way lean. The engine and turbo was in a car tire dragbike. I could two step it on the line making boost fast .When i put the engine in the street bike it was way rich no boost taking off plus had the waste gate turned down.So i rejetted . Started getting used to ridding the bike so i turned up the boost and forgot about the jetting. two passes later boom. I have put 60-70 passes on the enigine no problems @ 25lb boost

Comment

I had the head milled .020 cleaning it up but when i pick it up the two center combustion chambers had cracked from the spark plug holes to the ex. valve seats all four. im looking cheap stock head now. the pistons are fine

Comment

I was hoping to put the bike in the 5.90s this year but it will not be back together before the track closes. I have only made 10 passes on this street bike. Ive been a wheelie bar bike rider for 20 years so street tire/ no bars thing is new to me. I did make about 15 passes on a STOCK GSXR 600 last night best pass was a 7.08@ 103mph, not bad for a old man .There was 12 other guys/bikes( 18-25 Years old) there and I was old enough to be there father. Im 45 years young

Comment

I would love to see 25 lbs of boost just once before the years up. Your bike must fly!

Comment

Originally posted by LarryT View Post
                  I had the head milled .020 cleaning it up but when i pick it up the two center combustion chambers had cracked from the spark plug holes to the ex. valve seats all four. im looking cheap stock head now. the pistons are fine
                  Larry, I have LOTS of heads! 1100, 1150, & GSXR if you want to run even better! PM me & let me know if I can help you. Ray.

Comment

Lecroy the 60-70 passes were made on a pro stock chassis it ran 5.10s@134mph 1.17 60' 1/8 mile
                    Ray I think i have a head bought not sure i will let you know

Comment

Lecroy the 60-70 passes were made on a pro stock chassis it ran 5.10s@134mph 1.17 60' 1/8 mile
                      Larry, I would have liked to have seen the setup. I weight 730 lbs, 10" tire. So far my best 60' was a 1.27, no spray. Running around 16PSI, I was seeing 5.30s in the 1/8 @ 131-2 MPH. The kicker is I can add more boost, but it comes up pretty slow so I'm not sure it's going to buy me a whole lot on my short times.

I have been struggling with this bike for a while. I have spent quite a bit of time trying to get as much as I could out of my clutch. It now can at least keep a pack for several runs (maybe 15 passes on this last pack and it still looks good). What sort of weight was your setup? Are you spraying to get the short times down? What sort of gearing and launch RPMs? Do you run a 2-3 or full, or just kill? Any details would be great. Thanks.

Comment

The bike was a Koenig Pro Stock chassis, GSXR body 615lbs bike and me, 1394cc ,stock head except the valve springs,10" tire, 15-40 gearing , 8400 on two step , shift@ 10000, NO nos, the same stock clutch plates for all 60-70 passes. same ones still in it , MTC lock up, old stock springs, three arms bolt and nut, three arms nothing
                        Stock pro cut trans .I race a turbo GS 1000 / 1026cc for 5 years, two days a week sometime same APE clutch plates the whole time. No lock up just APE gold springs .It also 60' a best 1.17 most the time 1.17-1.20. ran a best 5.29@129mphThat bike was home built and had to be heavy. The back wheel was a real car wheel .Had $5000 in the 1000 spent $15000 on the other for 2/10s

Comment

Thanks. Similar setups. The extra 115 lbs I am sure is not helping my short times. Doesn't explain why I can't keep up with your home made bike. I bring it out lower (7000) and shift much lower (8500). This could be a lot of it. Any idea what sort of pressure you make on the 2-step?

The bike was a Koenig Pro Stock chassis, GSXR body 615lbs bike and me, 1394cc ,stock head except the valve springs,10" tire, 15-40 gearing , 8400 on two step , shift@ 10000, NO nos, the same stock clutch plates for all 60-70 passes. same ones still in it , MTC lock up, old stock springs, three arms bolt and nut, three arms nothing
                          Stock pro cut trans .I race a turbo GS 1000 / 1026cc for 5 years, two days a week sometime same APE clutch plates the whole time. No lock up just APE gold springs .It also 60' a best 1.17 most the time 1.17-1.20. ran a best 5.29@129mphThat bike was home built and had to be heavy. The back wheel was a real car wheel .Had $5000 in the 1000 spent $15000 on the other for 2/10s

Comment

The same engine / turbo is in my street bike in the gallery 81 GS750 larry taylor

Comment

I think it made 4lbs on the two step. i can tell youthat on the street bike i made 10 lbs while in first gear. It spun the tire went for the center line had to get out of it the gage held at 10 lbs

Comment

4 lbs sounds about right. I am right at 10 by the time I shift into 2nd. All very similar. I have a little bigger engine, 7.9:1, 0.010 in the hole and 15/42. Weight is everything!

You must have been running close to 180 in the 1/4?

Comment

Working...
                                X