quicker shaftie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quicker shaftie

wondering what can be done to make my gs1100g 1984 model better in the top end. goes great around town, but feels as though it is working too hard cruising on the highway. was told not much i could do because its a shaft drive
    thanks from oz
    craig

Carefully jack the handle bars up about 8 inches after removing them from the top triple tree clamp, then roll a Yamaha VMax under them and carefully lower them down and finish by bolting the previously removed bars to the top triple tree clamp of the VMax.\\/

You really can't change the gearing but you might look into performance mods such as pipe, pods re jetting, cams etc but is it really worth the hassle? I have an 82 1100G and it feels right at home doing 85-90 although I tend to keep it under 75.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2007, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by csryan View Post
      wondering what can be done to make my gs1100g 1984 model better in the top end. goes great around town, but feels as though it is working too hard cruising on the highway. was told not much i could do because its a shaft drive
      thanks from oz
      craig

If it feels like it's working too hard on the highway, I think there's something wrong with it.

Or you're cruising way too fast! :-D

Comment

I would agree with the last two posters ... I've had my '83 1100G up to 131mph (on a closed course, of course ;-) ) and it cruises effortlessly well beyond triple digits, even fully dressed!

Perhaps you should plug the other two spark plug wires back in? :shock:;-)

Seriously though, make sure everything is "up to spec" because the "G" models are only slightly less energetic than the "E" models, and I ride with several "E" model riders who can vouch for my "G's" capabilities...

Regards,

Comment

Yeah, Steve's G is teh fastest one around. Seriously...(unless my ass is sitting on the back )

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs1000e View Post
            Yeah, Steve's G is the fastest one around. Seriously...(unless my ass is sitting on the back )
            Dom, I meant when I ride with "E" model riders on THEIR OWN bikes!! Speaking of which, how's yours coming along? I still have the remains of one of your mirrors if you want it...

Anyway, having you on the back of the "G" made me realized I needed to add some air to my rear suspension (a blessing in disguise, I guess) ... The bike is MUCH more stable in the twisties with air in the suspension! \\/;-)

Comment

A shaft drive shouldn't post any less power than an equivelant chain drive. oh sure, I suppose you lose 0.5-1% power in the transmission with the extra gears, but it's really just like riding with a very heavy chain.

The only thing a shaft may be less at is accelerating the drivetrain. This means it has less kick off the line, but still very powerful, and this should not affect highway cruising at all.
              Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Commodus View Post
                If it feels like it's working too hard on the highway, I think there's something wrong with it.

Or you're cruising way too fast! :-D
                Fully agree, Commodus. I have an 84 GS1100GK and it moves down the highway quite smoothly and sinfully fast.

Yes, a GL1800 Wing will leave me in the dust, but that's to be expected of a more modern, larger engine with 6 cylinders. At sane every-day speeds, however, the GK does quite well.

The main reason the G's top end won't be quite as high as the E's is the 16-valve motor on the GS chainy, as opposed to the 8-valver on the shafty.
                Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2007, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I think what he is talking about are the rpms while cruising on the highway. All of the G's are geared a little low. Suzuki probably assumed that a bike likely to be used for touring would have to carry more weight and run two-up more often. What is really needed is a sixth gear. To cruise down the highway at 80 (true) my 850s have to turn 6000 rpm. That is no problem; redline is at 9000. But it does seem busy and it just feels like I should be shifting up.

If I had one change I could make to the G models, without a doubt sixth gear would be it.
                  Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                    I think what he is talking about are the rpms while cruising on the highway ... If I had one change I could make to the G models, without a doubt sixth gear would be it.
                    You might be right, Don, but it seemed to me that what he was saying was more power related than just how it "sounds." I agree with you though ... #1 on the "wishlist" would be 6th gear!!

Regards,

Comment

Don and Steve Nailed It. One More Gear is the ONLY Thing that Suzuki could Have done Better on the GS Shafties. My 850, Like Don's sounds Like it's Winding High at Highway Speed BUT, It will Do it ALL Day without Complaint!:-D
                      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                        Dom, I meant when I ride with "E" model riders on THEIR OWN bikes!! Speaking of which, how's yours coming along? I still have the remains of one of your mirrors if you want it...

Anyway, having you on the back of the "G" made me realized I needed to add some air to my rear suspension (a blessing in disguise, I guess) ... The bike is MUCH more stable in the twisties with air in the suspension! \\/;-)
                        Its coming, got all my parts now and new mirrors, thanks though. A few sessions and it should be done, painter has my new tail and fender so hoping to get those back next week. Tomorrow I go to old man Joe's for a wrenching session. Wish me luck brother!

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs1000e View Post
                          Its coming, got all my parts now and new mirrors, thanks though. A few sessions and it should be done, painter has my new tail and fender so hoping to get those back next week. Tomorrow I go to old man Joe's for a wrenching session. Wish me luck brother!
                          Sounds good! If I wasn't tied up with family obligations I'd come out and join you two. Unfortunately, with the Slimey Crud on Sunday (and permission from the "boss" to go) I am locked in to family time tomorrow.

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                          X