GSXR carbs slow to come back down to idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSXR carbs slow to come back down to idle

The title says it all. 36mm carbs just installed 30 min ago. When I gas it it doesn't come back down to idle real quick like my GS 34mm setup. I noticed that the slides have 2 holes in them, one is plugged with a white plastic plug. Is this a Dynojet rig or did they come from the factory like that? Do the slide holes need to be played with to fix my problem?

It could be a lean condition.

From what I remember:

if you blip the throttle and the idle drops lower than normal idle and then comes back up and settles = rich.

If you blip the throttle and the idle is slow to drop = lean.
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

Comment

The little white restrictors you see are part of the Dynojet kit & NEED to be there. Have you adjusted the mixture screws CORRECTLY yet? If you HAVE & it is still slow to return to idle, richen the needle 1 clip. Try those things first & let us know what happens. Ray.

Comment

Also the float levels might need adjusting. I have a set of slingshot carbs if that's what you are running and looking at them they need to set at an angle or you may run a bit lean (I think). :roll:

Comment

I had same problem before.
          Hard to start when clod and can not keep idle(below 1000rpm).
          When engine hot, it slowly turn down to idle and keep at 1400rpm.
          My problems were the carbs boots were creak ( both front and back of the carbs) and making leak, also the carbs were not synchronized.

Hope it can help a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Addy Leung View Post
            I had same problem before.
            Hard to start when clod and can not keep idle(below 1000rpm).
            When engine hot, it slowly turn down to idle and keep at 1400rpm.
            My problems were the carbs boots were creak ( both front and back of the carbs) and making leak, also the carbs were not synchronized.

Hope it can help a bit.
            I had the same condition when I tried my sligshot carbs on my
            1980 gsx1100e/ they were leaking (sucking air around the head were they slip on) couldn't get them tight enough from being so worn out= replaced no more slow to return condition..

Also on my wifes 1989 GSX1100F - orings (under the boots @ head) were flat and leaking = replaced orings and fixed that one too..

Comment

You might try the 32.5 pilots, but be careful pulling the plastic float housing off. I have a set on my 1150, but I'm currently running a 30 pilot.

I had 32.5 in before for about 5 years until recently when I discovered I had a broken needle jet. I tryed to lean it out by putting the stock pilots in, but now since I replaced all the needle jets and running a Factory jet kit, I think I'm going to try the 32.5 again.

I dont have problems with the idle hanging up, but having what I think is a lean condition at partial throttle.

I have two holes in the bottom of my slides and both were open when I bought them used.

Did you mention if you have a jet kit in there or stock GSXR jetting?
              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I believe that one of the PO's installed a Dynojet kit because the slides have the white plugs, but it looks like the main jets are Mikunis. I think I may have figured out what's going on. The boots look to be in good shape but 3 of the carbs are missing the tiny little o-ring that goes under the carb cap at the vacuum port. That would indicate a vacuum leak I would think. Time to go to Bikebandit (again).

Comment

It might be possible to find those O-rings at your local auto parts store. Let us know if that solves the hanging idle.
                  GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
                  X