Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vance & Hines Top End Oiler Install Info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vance & Hines Top End Oiler Install Info?

Hi there guys & gals. I have found a semi-vintage Vance and Hines Top End oiling system and was trying to figure out if there are additional head modifications that need to be performed or is it a bolt-on application. The engine is stock, that is, no oil passage modifications have been done to the head/crankcase. I want to use this to add more direct lubrication to the top end in anticipation of some cam changes I plan on doing.
    Also, this kit differs from the current Ward Performance systems in that there are no distribution manifolds at the head, it's a two line set-up with one line on the left and one line on the right of the head. Should these lines go to the Exhaust cam side directly or the Intake side allowing oil to run down to the exhaust cam. I know, questions, questions! Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    streetfighters

They go to the exhaust side. Do you have the sleeve installed under the distribution block?

Comment

Do NOT install the sleeve under the distribution block! Also, I would run a SINGLE side setup on the side with the bigger cam. The heat from the exhaust side is not an issue when compared to bigger lift & pressure on the springs & rockers on the intake side. If you have same size cams both sides THEN I would supply the exhaust cam to cool it. Ray.

Comment

What is the sleeve your talking about?

On the one I have the distribution block mounts to engine and the oil feeds go up to each side of the motor.
        1982 GS1000S Katana
        1982 GS1100E

Comment

Look on the bottom of the distribution block. Is the bottom flat or is there a round piece that sticks out. Why am I thinking on the older vance and Hines kit you don't have a choice. I never liked the idea of the sleeve installed. Seems like it takes a long time with the sleeve in to get oil from the top of the motor back down to the crank and trans. In the back of my mind I'm thinking I've heard of people drilling holes in the sleeve to speed up oil going to the crank and trans.

Comment

Hi there, sorry, abducted by aliens again!
            There is a sleeve on the underside ofthe dist. manifold and it appears to be part of the actual casting. I am getting what you all are saying about choosing the cam that has the bigger demand for additional ,or more correctly, more direct oiling. The sleeve thing however, has me puzzled. There was a bit of discussion on Dragbike.com about the sleeve. Appearantly this item can be included or omitted on the Ward set-up but the V&H oilers do not have this sleeve as an option. The sleeve functions as an oil redirecting device, am I on the right track with that? I've read that the sleeve acts to bypass direct crankshaft oiling and diverts the oil to the top of the enging allowing oil to flow down to the bottom end using gravity instead of pressure, right? Maybe?
            streetfighters

Comment

All the oil goes up from the cases into manifold. Then because of the sleeve it goes straight up to the head. From the exhaust cam the oil goes thru the passages and oils the intake cam cam. It also goes back down the block to that area under the manifold. It fills that area around that sleeve and then goes down to the crank and tranny.

I set mine up as a dry block using the ward topend oiler with the sleeve removed. I plugged the oil passages in the head that lead down thru the block. I also plugged the oil passages in the top of the cases. No oil is pumped thru the block at all. This way when the oil comes up to the manifold it goes to the crank/tranny and up to the head, thru the external oiler, at the same time.

Comment

Thanks guys, I think that the info you have provided helps clear up the issues I was obsessing about.
                It sounds like either way I plumb it I won't kill my motor at this point. Oil will get to the head and the crank.Thanks.
                streetfighters

Comment

Have you thought about drilling that sleeve out to allow oil to get to the crank quicker?

Comment

When I put the topend oiler on my bike I also put the later model 750 oil pump gears in for added oil pressure. I don't think you have to do that but my paranoia got the best of me. :roll: I also did mine the same as Rosco. I didn't like the sounds of the oil going through the head then to the crank last. Now it hits everything at the same time. Also maybe the Ward kit can be bought in individual pieces. Maybe a guy could get the distribution blocks at the head for a small fee. Just a thought.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2007, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Hey, you guys got me thinking . I will be able to drill and tap multiple holes, maybe 4-40 or 6-32, and use stainless steel set screws in the holes to add or reduce flow to the head or crank. Adjustability!!! YeeHaa!. O.K., I feel better about this now. And yes, I will use Loctite to keep the little buggers in place.
                      Thanks again.
                      streetfighters

Comment

I teed mine to oil both intake and exhaust sides, also drilled the sleeve and dryblocked ( plugs in head both pressure and drainback, drainback thru cam tunnel)

Comment

Working...
                        X