Replacement Rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Rotors

Hey guys, the front rotors on my recently acquired 83 1100E are pulsing badly. Anybody have a good experience with any particular brand of aftermarket rotors? OEM's are pricey, to say the least. Any other GS model rotors bolt right up? Also, has anybody ever retrofitted other calipers to this bike? I'd slap on some R1 calipers if it wasn't a difficult swap.

EBC or PFM would be your best bet if you can't find a decent set of used stockers.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2007, 02:17 PM.

Comment

EBC makes replacement rotors, but they're spendy -- about $150 each.

Pretty much all GS models from 1980 - 85 used the exact same rotors, and mostly the exact same front brake systems. Haunt eBay for rotors or front wheels from 1980-83 GS850, GS1100, GS1000, and GS750 models.

I'm not sure if the GS550 and GS650 models from this era have dual rotors, but if they do, they will also fit. Perhaps someone can clarify...

The slotted rotors are pretty distinctive, so if they're from an '80s era Suzuki and look like yours, they will fit.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        I'm not sure if the GS550 and GS650 models from this era have dual rotors, but if they do, they will also fit. Perhaps someone can clarify...
        GS 650G (non L) and GS650E had dual rotors. I can't speak to the 550 versions

As far as the pulsing brakes are concerned, you may not have warped rotors, you may just have pad deposits on them. I would try scuffing them up to get rid of the deposits first. You also should replace the pads, and make sure to break the new ones in properly. I have gotten rid of pulsing this way many times. Actually, a couple of good, hard stops (like from 45 to 5 mph) should be enough to scrub the rotors down. Make sure you don't come to a complete stop, cuz thats when the deposits transfer.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2007, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X