Carb types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb types

Forgive me if this already exists 8-[ but I didn't find it. Would someone explain the general differences (advantages and disadvantages) in the different types of carbs referenced on this site. Smoothbore, CV and Flatslide are some that I have seen recently.

Thanks
    Mike

The smoothbores & flatslide carbs have the slides opening the same amount you move the throttle with your hand. They are a higher performance carb that require a little more skill & control with your right hand to ride with. CVs have the slides opening by vacuum signal from the engine. That meaning you can go full throttle with your right hand & the slides will only open as fast as the vacuum signal goes up due to engine demand & RPM. You will usually get more power from the smoothbores or flatslides & better fuel mileage from the CVs. Now, to add to your confusion, a lot of the late model CVs are a flatslide design! That meaning they just have a flat shaped slide, they are still vacuum operated. Hope this helps you a little. Ray.

Comment

Yes that does help. Thanks Ray.

Comment

Working...
      X