CR Smoothbores vs. RS Mikuni's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CR Smoothbores vs. RS Mikuni's

O.k, Can someone explain why ones better than the other?

I've seen a set of 37mm CR's for sale and am wondering if they would be better than 36mm or 38mm RS's on a Modded GS(X)1100.

I keep hearing how the Keihen's are a "Higher Quality Carb" (as in the castings are better etc) but we all seem to have (or have had) RS Mikunis, or at least they are the carb of choice for GS'ers.

I think the Keihins have roller bearings in the slides and some other quality options. Otherwise I think performance wise you shouldn't notice a "HUGE" difference.

Comment

The Keihin CRs DON'T have an excellerator pump. They are also round slide carbs similar to the 29 & 33mm Mikuni round slides. The Keihin FCRs are the flat slide smoothbores similar to the Mikuni RSs. The FCRs & the RSs both are flat slides with excellerator pumps but the FCRs have roller wheels on the slides. They are both a good choice for power but if NOISE bothers you the FCRs slides rattle & make more noise than the RSs. Hope this helps. Ray.

Comment

Hey Ray. The RS's make a bit of noise. AND I LOVE IT! We joke about it at work when they hear my bike. Flatsides are a good choice if you want to get involved and work on the bike. If not , just stay stock. But me I'll just irritate myself regularly and keep trying something new. Faster is better! RIGHT! :roll:

Comment

round V other

Also i have heard the RS carbies have more of a "hit" compared to the round slide carbies. Something about the airflow differance.

Comment

I run RS flatslides on my bike and they work great. The rattle from them is unmistakable. For a bolt on item the power increase is incredible.

Comment

The thing about "stock" is that, well, stock SUCKS! More power, MORE power!!! Ray.

Comment

Thanks Guys,

Looks like I'll be getting another set of RS Mikunis then (sold my set of 38's a few years back).
                I didnt realise how much difference the accelerator pumps made (mine were set so that they were disabled) so have given up on the 37mm roundslide Keihins I saw.
                I was going to get a set of 33mm smoothies for the retro look but my ports are no longer the stock 33.5mm so why slap smaller carb on a big port.

Another set of 36 to 38mm RS Carbs for me I think :-)

Comment

Working...
                X