timing chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing chain?

I'm needing to repalce my timing chain adn I was wondering what a good brand would be? Also which gasketes will I need to replace when changing it? Oh, and where isa good place to buy it?

Here is tsubaki, the best
    Speed Merchant
    http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

If i may ask, why are you replacing it?
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Well, My bike has about 75,000 miles on it and the cam chain tensioner is all the way out so that it barely rattles.... In short the chain is stretched real bad. I would do a complete rebuild, but finding all the parts for a 650 rebuild seems like it my take me a while- unless anyone knows where to find oversized pistons, rings, bearings, and a gasket kit?

Comment

you can buy a complete gasket and oversized rings, and have a shop put a fresh hone on it... maybe some new valve seals...

run good as new..
          1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

I can hone it myself, I have rebuild a LOT of engines, my biggest concern is finding the parts to put in it afterwards. I'd like to get a new set of pistons and basically a new master kit (rings bearings, gaskets, seals, etc.)

Comment

You know you can buy from UK a camchain with a soft link, so you dont have to split the engine, I have used them on 2 separate bikes and never had a problem with them.

Comment

As a drag racer & engine builder there is ABSOLUTELY no way I would use anything but a solid cam chain. Master links are for drive chains & stuff OUTSIDE of the engine! I don't care how good of luck others have had with a master link on a cam chain, I will NEVER do it! Take it for what you want. Ray.

Comment

Anybody have any idea what type of cam chain the GSes have? Like if I wanted to try to buy bulk chain, what type would I ask for? Drive chains are 630 and 520 and such, so I assume there is a designation...

Comment

Looks like it's "219" chain with 120 links.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                      As a drag racer & engine builder there is ABSOLUTELY no way I would use anything but a solid cam chain. Master links are for drive chains & stuff OUTSIDE of the engine! I don't care how good of luck others have had with a master link on a cam chain, I will NEVER do it! Take it for what you want. Ray.
                      I second that.
                      Speed Merchant
                      http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Working...
                      X