4 into 1, who's best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 into 1, who's best

who makes the best 4 into 1 , for a '8 gs 750 e..and who sell's'm the cheapest..thanks gsr

I run a V&H 4 to 1 Megaphone on my 78 GS1000. I am thoroughly happy with it. Denis kirk carries it for less than $300. Mac and Jardine also make 4 to 1's but I haven't had any experience with those.

Comment

I run a Jardine header on my GS1000E. Black with an brushed metal can. I picked it up from www.starcycle.com for $249. It was a closeout sale, so they may be out of 'em. Dennis Kirk had the same header for over $400 bucks.

Comment

The best? Early 80's R.C. Engineering. Very hard to find.

Comment

i just bought the v&h for 269 to my door..... from motorcycle superstore.

good buy and i am sure i will love it... cant wait to get it put on....

Comment

Kerker

I'm running a Kerker on my 1100 and have no complaints. Nice sound and is reasonably quiet. Kinda like to avoid irritating the local constabulary. Have had several riders compliment the bikes exhaust note. Even on the dyno at 6000 it is more of a tuned sound than just noise. Kinda like an old Dunstall.

Comment

Keep in mind you'll need to rejet to get the performance out of the new 4 into 1 - try a Dynojet kit.

Comment

I want to keep my centerstand. Which exhaust lets you do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                  I want to keep my centerstand. Which exhaust lets you do that?
                  The Vance and Hines 4 into 1 for the GS1000 lets you retain the centerstand. Go for a rejet to get the most out of it - the new pipe will lean out your mixture.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                    The Vance and Hines 4 into 1 for the GS1000 lets you retain the centerstand. Go for a stage 1 Dynojet rejet to get the most out of it - the new pipe will lean out your mixture.
                    Thanks man. Is that with the airbox? I'd like to keep that too to save trouble.

Comment

Who's is best? The better question is what is still available. As far as I know your choices for your bike are Mac, V & H, and Jardine. I've never tried a Mac, do I don't know much about them. The V&H is a nice pipe. It sounds good and adds performance when your bike is podded and jetted. You can still get the V&H most anywhere. However, I think V&H's quality has gone downhill as far as the chrome. My bike runs a tad rich, and the pipes still turn gold and blue. The Jardine comes either black with chrome cannister (like Tom's) or in chrome with megaphone. They are both in short supply.... the rumor is that Jardine won't be making them anymore. I bought a black Jardine for my project, and a chrome one for my Skunk. I haven't installed either, yet. There is a guy on ebay selling the chrome one.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...4403453&rd=1,1
                      he's sold about 4 so far. I don't know how many he has left, but if you want one I think he has the last of them.

I'll post some pics and a review of the chrome one once I get it installed. I'm getting it ceramic coated on the inside first.
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

If you ever see an RC Engineering system like Jeff, 8 track, has snap it up! Russ collins is a motorcycle legend. Not only was he fast, his customers were, too!

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
                          If you ever see an RC Engineering system like Jeff, 8 track, has snap it up! Russ collins is a motorcycle legend. Not only was he fast, his customers were, too!
                          Remember when this poster was on the wall of every motorcycle dealer in the U.S.

Comment

Sure do.

Big Bike magazine got Russ to write a monthly column about his racing. Unfortunately the mag went belly up not long after. He did some great racing 'on the salt', too.
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2007, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                              Thanks man. Is that with the airbox? I'd like to keep that too to save trouble.
                              Just noticed though that the Dynojet kits for the 78-79 GS1000 are stage 3 only (pipe with pods) vs stage 1 (pipe with airbox) so you'll have to rejet using standard Mikuni jets. Or just buy a set of pods and the stage 3 kit and hear the beast S C R E A M, not to mention shave a few pounds from the bike and pick up some HP. I just did this and the bike sounds amazing now. The stage 3 installation turned out to be much easier than expected.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2007, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X