• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V&H on a '78 GS1000:

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Yes, you will be able to keep your centerstand with the V & H. I just put one on my 1100. It comes with a little bracket that mounts to the right rear footpeg mount and it keeps your centerstand from whacking your pipe when it comes up. It's a nice pipe. I have to agree that I've seen better chrome jobs before. Looks kinda crappy where the pipes join together. Whaddya gonna do though? They don't make anything like they used too.

Comment

Bruce-

Did you get a noticeable boost in power with the pods, pipe, and rejet?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
          Bruce-

Did you get a noticeable boost in power with the pods, pipe, and rejet?
          Most definitely! Last year at Street Vibrations, I went heads up with Tom MLC on the dyno drags (his bike was stock back then). I was beating him by a full second in the 1/4 mile.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

How can that Jardine 4:1 fit so many bikes? I had a stock GS1000 4:2 & a stock 750 4:2 & the header pipe diameters were different by about 3mm diameter.....

What gives??

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
              Most definitely! Last year at Street Vibrations, I went heads up with Tom MLC on the dyno drags (his bike was stock back then). I was beating him by a full second in the 1/4 mile.
              Yeah, but I'm ready for a re-match!

Comment

What about getting to the oil filter?

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth Operator View Post
                  The V&H retains access to the oil filter. I had a Kerker on before and got rid of it just because of the pain of removing the exhaust everytime the oil was changed.

If you have an aftermarket oil cooler, changing the filter will be a huge, especially if you have big hands, but you can do it with the header on.
                  "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth Operator View Post
                    Changing the oil filter is not too bad with the Jardine. Small hand would be helpful. I use half a milk carton between the header pipes, stuck under the filter cover to keep the oil off the pipes. Works very well.

Comment

You won't find my exhaust in any catalog, as I built it myself. It's a MAC header with a custom fabbed mid pipe, and a D&D race canister from a '97 ZX7R Kawasaki:

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
                        You won't find my exhaust in any catalog, as I built it myself. It's a MAC header with a custom fabbed mid pipe, and a D&D race canister from a '97 ZX7R Kawasaki:
                        I was thinking about doing something like that. LoudFastUgly has these:

Thought I could find a Harley pipe or whatever then take it all to the local muffler shop to hook 'em together. Is yours welded or what? Was it fairly easy?

*edit* LoudFastUgly has a "GS700-750E/ES/S 83-86" megaphone to fit that "GS750/1100E-ET 80-82" header. So header ($109) plus megaphone ($89) equals 4-1 exhaust for $200 from LoudFastUgly. Best price I've seen. Any idea if the routing/mounting on a muffler/pipe for a '83-'86 would work with my '80 bike???
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2007, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                          Thought I could find a Harley pipe or whatever then take it all to the local muffler shop to hook 'em together. Is yours welded or what? Was it fairly easy?
                          Heres how I fabbed my exhaust, it was fairly straight foreward. I do CNC machining for a severe service pump manufacturing company so I have all types of custom fabrication and welding right at my disposal..

Comment

exhaust

I bought both a Jardine, and Mac pipe last winter for a 1000G. After looking them both over , I installed the Mac because access to the oil filter was much better!! I used to run Kerkers 20 years ago, and the Macs are similar in the oil filter access area. The pipe fit well, and no problems in 3000 miles. I did coat the inside of the pipe with Kreeme blue shield, and would never put another one on without doing that. In the rejetting process, I know I have run the bike on the lean side, but absoulutely no blueing or disclouration. It is an excellent product if properly applied. Follow the instruction about cleaning before application.

Comment

I have the Jardine (sames as the 3rd post in this thread) but found it a bit loud for my tastes so I bought a GSXR1000 end can + midpipe from Craigslist and grafted that on to the Jardine header pipes. Sounds and looks good!

Comment

I've had both V&H and Kerkers on my 1000S.

Jetting for both was different.

The chrome on the V&H seems cheesy compared to the Kerker.
                                I've had the V&H 2 maybe 3 years now and it's showing rust.
                                The Kerker only showed dings.
                                I may need to re-pack the Kerker.
                                Keith
                                -------------------------------------------
                                1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                                2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
                                X