putting a 95 gsxr750 swingarm on my 83 gs750e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

putting a 95 gsxr750 swingarm on my 83 gs750e

I have a 95 rear swingarm from a 95gxsr750. I was told that you can out a 89-92 on my bike with minor mods. On gixxer.com it claims that the 94&95 swingarms will fit just need to replace the spacer and the bearing cases... wondering if anyone has some insight on this as i have really no idea i am newbie. thanks Derek

i asked the same question.. and about after a week i got a reply that i need to use the search option better... and they posted about 5 links that still didnt answer my particular question.. so good luck. supposedly it may need to be ground down a hair on the swingarm.. and a spacer made for your original bolt, to go into, while the spacer retains the orginal size of the swingarm bolt.. good luck and lemme know how it works.. becuase im considering it also..

Comment

I was going to use a '93 swingarm on my bike until I found a Works shock cheap for my bike. To use the '93 I was going to have to mill the frame where the swingarm fits close to 1/8" on each side. I was going to use the seals, shims, and bearing inners from the 700. The inner races were going to be shortened to fit the '93 swingarm. This would allow me to use the stock pivot bolt. I thought about narrowing the swingarm pivot but chose to grind down the frame to fit if I had done the swap. The centerstand mounts would have been incorporated into the lower shock mount and the upper mount is just a stationary mounting point since the cushion lever is at the bottom of the suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochikin04 View Post
        i asked the same question.. and about after a week i got a reply that i need to use the search option better... and they posted about 5 links that still didnt answer my particular question.. so good luck. supposedly it may need to be ground down a hair on the swingarm.. and a spacer made for your original bolt, to go into, while the spacer retains the orginal size of the swingarm bolt.. good luck and lemme know how it works.. becuase im considering it also..
        Voodoochikin, Buddy, you have the swingarm and the bike, right? Take some measurements. Jump in there and find the answers you are looking for. At this point you are the best resource for the information you are looking for, for that specific swingarm. You have everything you need to find out the information you are looking for.
        The links I posted, provided the information on what you need to look for. And the different ways other people have done this type of modification. Use that information as a guideline.

Anything can be done with the right amount of will (and money). Is this the swingarm you are set on using? If so, make it work. Open your mind and think outside the box. If you are going to limit yourself to what has been done, you need to use the parts that have already been used and follow the path that has been trampled before you.

If you have specific questions, there are several people here that have done this type of thing. We can and will provide direction. But the generality of your question was overwhelming. The topic has been covered enough that there are few that are willing to type out all the details...... again. If you have a specific question, ask. If you would like a general answer to your general question, I can help you with that.

Originally posted by voodoochikin04 View Post
        i picked up what i believe is an 03 gsxr 600 swingarm and tire combo for less than dirt cheap.. will this fit my 78 gs1000 without much trouble. i understand making spacers for the pivot so my swingarm bolts fits the new arm.. but what about width? will this new one be short enough to fit in the space on my frame? thanks alot.. -Matt
        ... Yes...

There are no directions for custom work. That's what makes it custom. Good luck with your project. It will be VERY rewarding, not only in the finished product, but in the construction as well.

Comment

You'd have an easier time making the 05-06 GSXR 1000 swingarm fit - both the GS1000 and the 05-06 GSXR 1000 swingarms are 225 mm at the pivot. The 600/750 arms are actually wider than the 1000 arms. Read my streetfighter thread for more details. It's definately NOT a bolt on though. You'll need to weld in monoshock supports or figure out a way to get twin shocks on the newer arm plus some custom bushings to use the old pivot bolt in the new swingarm, plus cut off your passenger peg mounts and stock exhaust mount.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2007, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X