Cleaning RS Mikunis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning RS Mikunis?

I just got a used set off an auction and they are filthy, outside and in.
    Im a little disapointed as they are obviously well used (contrary to what I was told), actually looking over closly you could even say they are a bit abused!
    I cant blame the seller as he was only breaking a bike he got in a trade/didnt want and only passed on the info he was given.

Least I didnt pay too much for them & the slides are ok!!

Everythings dirty so what do you guys use?

Get an exploded view type of diagram of the carbs. Then take them apart, remove the rubber, drop them into a parts cleaner solution (or gasoline) and let them soak for a few days. Order new rubber from Sudco. Retrieve carbs from the solution, blow compressed air through all orifices. Reassemble per exploded view type of diagram, attach to engine of choice, cross fingers, hit start button. Tune to taste.

Comment

I'm with RJ on this but you could get a can of some spray can carb cleaner and spray through the orifices. Not too much to them. Take the top covers off and make sure the adjusters are ok I had a problem with one set I bought where an adjuster was stripped and my idle wandered up and down alot. Awesome carbs once eveything is in tune and synched. My stock ones never reacted as fast as the RS's do. Make sure to check the needle and seat assemblies to see what got caught in the screens. That can clue you in for what may be lurking in the passages. If you want pics of my extra set in different states of disassembly for easy identification I can do that too. Nice thing with RS's is jet changing can be done with the carbs on and through the bottom of the bowls through the drain plug. Total bonus.

Comment

clean the outside first. you can use soap and water. dawn works good, or simple green.
        use duct tape on the intake and out put side. to keep water out.

this little trick will make your carb dip last longer.

Comment

Thanks everyone, sorry to take so long to reply.
          I was just a bit unsure if the carbs were up to the use of normal cleaning products due to their lightweight & therefore possible use of an odd alloy composition.

Rob, I would love those pictures to save me going through the drama myself, please pm me and I will pass on my contact details.

Thanks again.

Comment

I'll take a few pics tomorrow and post them. A bit tired and actually going to bed now. Will do it for sure though.

Comment

Just took pics and will see how I do and hopefully tonite but may be tomorrow. I took the pics with my phone and it's taking a bit to get through. Sorry dude I'll get back later.

Comment

Working...
              X