carb recommendations 821000s Katana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb recommendations 821000s Katana

I am planning to put a 4-1 pipe and new carbs on my now stock gs1000sz katana. I want replace the stock carbs and keep the originals as they are stored away with the airbox and exhaust. I also have stock sets of 1100 and 1150 cams i could install.

I am figuring on the RS34 Mikunis. What do you guys think?
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

I would use either the 33 mm round slide Mikunis or the 36 mm air cooled stock GSXR carbs. Either one would be good power & the stock GSXR carbs can be gotten for considerably less money. If you use the 1150 cams you will lose your tach drive. Ray.

Comment

Ray-

Dumb question, never used anything but the stock carbs on my 80 GS1000, which has 34 mm Mikuni CV carbs. How do you use 36 mm GSXR carbs on a head designed for 34 mm carbs? GSXR carb boots or something?

Comment

I have a set of GSXR slingshot 36's already...I just thought they would be too big. Are the cam profiles the same for the 82 1000 and the 83 1100?
        1982 GS1000S Katana
        1982 GS1100E

Comment

The GSXR carbs fit into the stock boots of a 1982 1100E no problem. What you do have to deal with is the tilt of the float bowls because the GSXR engine is tilted more forward compared the GS motor. You will have to play with the float level to compensate for it. I have a set of 36mm carbs I have been trying to make work on my 1100 but no dice. I was able to stop the gas from dumping out of the back of the carbs but can't make them run right otherwise. My advice is to get a Dynojet kit for the stock carbs if you are running a pipe and/or pods. If you want to go more radical get yourself a set of Mikuni RS's. Leave the GSXR carbs for GSXR's.

Comment

If you call Mark at Factory jet kits he has needles & jetting recommendations specifically for this set up. Trust me, they WORK! We got 8 MORE horsepower with the 36 mm GSXR carbs over CORRECTLY jetted stock GS 34 CVs! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              If you call Mark at Factory jet kits he has needles & jetting recommendations specifically for this set up. Trust me, they WORK! We got 8 MORE horsepower with the 36 mm GSXR carbs over CORRECTLY jetted stock GS 34 CVs! Ray.
              Sweet! Got a link and/or phone number for Mark? This would be a nice hop-up for my upcoming engine build. I would imagine the throttle response is faster too with the GSXR carbs?

Comment

DEFINITELY better throttle response! Especially if you go bigger pistons! Also, the K&Ns for those carbs are only 2 filters instead of 4! The phone #s for Factory are 415-721-4964 & 800-869-0497. Let me know how it goes! Ray.

Comment

I am using 36mm GSXR-carbs on a stock GS1100 and 1200 BAndit carbs on a GS1150 (bored to 1200). BOth work GREAT with the K%N-dual filters! No trouble with the float bowls, but lots of rejetting to be done!
                  Greets
                  Flo

Comment

Originally posted by Flo View Post
                    I am using 36mm GSXR-carbs on a stock GS1100 and 1200 BAndit carbs on a GS1150 (bored to 1200). BOth work GREAT with the K%N-dual filters! No trouble with the float bowls, but lots of rejetting to be done!
                    Greets
                    Flo
                    Hi Flo.....did you need to get a Dynojet kit to use the 36's on the 1100? Any jetting info would be much appreciated....also curious to know if the stock needles work well, or is the Dynojet custom taper necessary? Thanks!

Tony.
                    '82 GS1100E

Comment

Do you think the 36's are too big for a stock 1000 engine?
                      1982 GS1000S Katana
                      1982 GS1100E

Comment

Not at all! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                        X