Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSXR Rearsets

those of you that have adapted the GSXR rearsets to your bikes;

it looks like the shift actuator would have to be upside down if i used the ones i am looking at, reversing the shift pattern. i don't think i'd like that very much...

also did you lose the passenger pegs when you did this?

on my 450E i'd lose the rear brake with a GSXR set. might have to get a rear disk on there from a 550 or something... but i am trying the cheap route, obviously

with the standard pegs and super bike bars i feel too close to my knees riding, and the pegs are in the way at a stop. bothersome...

Originally posted by catfishk View Post
    those of you that have adapted the GSXR rearsets to your bikes;

it looks like the shift actuator would have to be upside down if i used the ones i am looking at, reversing the shift pattern. i don't think i'd like that very much...

also did you lose the passenger pegs when you did this?

on my 450E i'd lose the rear brake with a GSXR set. might have to get a rear disk on there from a 550 or something... but i am trying the cheap route, obviously

with the standard pegs and super bike bars i feel too close to my knees riding, and the pegs are in the way at a stop. bothersome...
    Do you have any pics of your setup?

What year/model of GSXR rearsets are you using?

Properly mounted, the shifting pattern is the same.

Here's a closeup from a 2005 GSXR 750 of the way they're supposed to mount on a 2005 GSXR 600/750 and 2006 GSXR 1000. Emulate this setup and you'll be fine. Note that the bolt that holds the GSXR shifter onto the shifter spline is inserted from the bottom.

This is how it's mounted on the GS1000. Note how the bolt is still inserted from the bottom, but the end part of the shifter is flipped from the way it's mounted on the GSXR. I'm able to shift into all gears easily this way. Make sure you test your setup thoroughly before riding.

I cut off my stock passenger peg mounts and exhaust mount to clean up the lines of the bike and because I never carry passengers anyway.

I bet you can keep your rear brake if you get a little creative in the way you mount your GS master cylinder in the GSXR rearset.

The rearsets will give you a lot better ground clearance when cornering - you won't be scraping your toes on the deck anymore when deep in corners, and they definately put you in a better riding position for aggressive riding.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-04-2007, 08:02 PM.

Comment

I mounted mine to clear the exhaust I was using. I cut off the heavy plate the old pegs mounted to and used a minimal amount of plate to bolt the rearsets to. On my bike the shift pattern is reversed. There wasn't room to flip the hardware over for a conventional pattern.

Comment

I also did a 2000 GSXR 1000 rear set modification to my gs550cafe bike. I mounted mine at a slight angle with mounts I made.

Comment

Catfishk,

Here's my set up using ZX12R running gear. What I did was to mock up the mounting plates using 3/8" thick clear lexan. Very easy to drill, cut and transfer hole locations. When I was happy my machinist friend copied it. The shift shaft uses part of the original 1100e threaded rod and another spare rod cut down from an FZ1 but you could use anything. I spent a lot of time making sure the position felt good and looked properly placed.

Also note that I left the orginal 1100e shift pivot shaft in case I ever want to go back to original however I like the new set up so much i'll probably cut it off.

One other minor problem I have is the side stand gets pretty close to my boot when I'm up shifting. I think its just a minor adjustment to the stand.

Comment

Working...
          X