77 GS400 refreshed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 GS400 refreshed

this is my GS400X. i just finished putting new tires on it! cheng shin barracudas front and rear. its also got a MAC 2 into 1 exhaust on it. i pulled out the plastic part of the airbox to make room for some pod filters i still need to order. now i can put stuff in the metal part of the airbox! im still awaiting a new RK heavy duty chain (why is fedex so slow?) so i havent been able to break in this new rubber yet. oh yeah, i need the chain to get my riders permit too.... whatcha think?

try to get the seat recovered as the rest of the bike looks decent. the tail on it looks too long as well, but hey it is not my bike. watch out for the cheng shins as they like to expand once they get hot, they are a pretty sticky tire though just don't last very long

Comment

Did you get a jet kit? It's going to be way lean if not.

Comment

I'm running 'cudas on my GS650GL and yea they do wear pretty fast... I can't complain about the traction but I may get a pricier touring tire next time since I do a lot of interstate driving. You're definitely going to need a jet kit though- don't even try to get away without it you'll just make things worse. Also it sounds like you recently got this bike- make sure you check the brake pads! brakes save lives- especially yours!

Comment

I must say I like the way that bike looks. Looks like it could be a fun little project. I don't have much technical info to give, just support. Good luck man.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolorange View Post
            try to get the seat recovered as the rest of the bike looks decent.
            cover is brand new. just looks odd in the pic with the cargo net on it.

as for the jet kit, what do i need and where can i get it?

im trying not to do TOO much to this bike, i dont plan on keeping it for too long and i wanna keep the resale up there.

Comment

Originally posted by simon_C View Post
              cover is brand new. just looks odd in the pic with the cargo net on it.

as for the jet kit, what do i need and where can i get it?

im trying not to do TOO much to this bike, i dont plan on keeping it for too long and i wanna keep the resale up there.
              Dynojet would be the best bet for a kit. You might run across one on Ebay.
              Dynojet is the world leader in performance enhancement products for motorcycles and cars. Push the limit of your vehicle with our powersports vehicle parts.

Comment

Didn't pay close enough attention to your post. With a '77 you already have adjustable needles. You can raise them a notch or two and probably go up two sizes on the mains. Do some plug reads to see where you are at after the changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                  Didn't pay close enough attention to your post. With a '77 you already have adjustable needles. You can raise them a notch or two and probably go up two sizes on the mains. Do some plug reads to see where you are at after the changes.
                  im not too familiar with these engines, i used to be a 2 stroke guy... mini scooters and stuff, nothing over 50cc.

anyway, how would i go about adjusting the needles? i havent had the chance to pull these carbs off the bike yet. in fact, im a complete newb when it comes to carbs on bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by simon_C View Post
                    im not too familiar with these engines, i used to be a 2 stroke guy... mini scooters and stuff, nothing over 50cc.

anyway, how would i go about adjusting the needles? i havent had the chance to pull these carbs off the bike yet. in fact, im a complete newb when it comes to carbs on bikes.
                    The needles are at the bottom of the throttle slides. Just drop the a notch or two towards the tips of the needles. This will raise them richening up the mixture. You're going to need to richen up the mains and the idle circuit. Look for posts by Keith Krause as to how to adjust the idle needles. You have two, one for fuel and one for air. Don't adjust them until you are sure of what you are doing.

Comment

if you are doing a restore, you should be pulling the carbs off anyways, cleaning them, and rebuilding them. petcock too. you may want to throw in an inline filter too.

what else have you done to this bike? Looks great! but can it breath fire yet?

Also. I have ChengShing HiMax that I'm very happy with. They get really hot and really sticky. I can lean right over on it and grind pegs past my university. not sure how the cuda are, I'm told they are a little harder rubber. let us know how you find them
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2007, 12:51 AM.

Comment

hey what do you think about the mac exhaust? hows the quality? sorry for digging up an old thread

Comment

Working...
                        X