gs1150 to gsxr front and rear suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1150 to gsxr front and rear suspension

I need help. I own a 85 gs 1150 and want to put a gsxr front fork assembly on it along with a rear swingarm from a gsxr. What years will work (most economical) the best and what will I need to do?

Thank you for any assistance in this matter ahead of time

With the right tools and shop stuff, any year will work!! :-D 1st and 2nd generation gsxr stuff is bolt on (Front end), and a 5.5" rear rim will fit in your stock arm (at least it will fit in 82-83 1100E's using the GS spacers with gsxr axle). 2nd gen stuff is generally considered better, since the 17" rims give a wider selection in tires, while 1st gen 18" rims limit your tire selection a bit (but I like my 18" Michelin Pilot Roads just fine, thanks!). Also, the 1st gen front ends (85-87) are shorter than the 2nd gen (88-92). Do not use early 750 stuff, specifically '88 750...forks are very short, and may give clearance problems. Not sure what is required to mount USD stuff ('93 and up)...think they have different type of steering head bearings, but even converting those isn't hard, I think!

On my '82 1100EZ I have '88 1100 forks/brakes up front, '88 rear brakes, stock GS swing arm, '87 rims front and rear. I still have plenty of ground clearance, and the radial tires make a world of difference.
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

I have a '95 GSXR 1100 front end on my '82 1100E. Steering head bearings are not a problem until you get to the double row ball bearing stuff (like '98 and up I think). Go to Bikebandit's website and look at the exploded views to be sure before you whatever front end you're looking for.

Comment

Working...
      X