Pods????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pods????

I was talking to some friends of mine about trying to pull a little more out of my little 450L (not that she can't hold her own as she is) and the subject of Pods came up. I was just doing some PM on her tonight and when I openned the airbox I saw that the filter had slipped down so that she was basically running without one. She seemed to have a little more power lately and I am not sure if that was why. Anyhow, has anybody put pods on a 450? I put an open element on my Camaro when I was in college without doing any other mods and I saw a little improvement. Would that be the same with the bike? I'm not looking to head to Bonneville, but I ride on the highway everyday to work and would like to try to pull a little more out of her.

Any thoughts?
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

It's a fine idea. You'll need to do some jetting.

Comment

If you're going to run pods for performance sake, look into putting a free-flowing exhaust on it since you're going to have to rejet anyway. A less restrictive exhaust, pods and a stage 3 jet kit will majorly increase the power output. But be forwarned, you'll lose mileage.

And then you'll want to put a Dyna ignition on it, Dyna coils, lightweight sprockets, Rifle fairing.......\\/

People just don't realize how fast a 450 can go. I was having a discussion earlier about just how fast an old Honda 90 would go...

Comment

My best advice is to put a good brand pod onto it, something that is washable and reusable.

And like Txironhead said, put a good exhaust onto it too and the jet kit.

My bike had the 4-1 on it when I got it but it was as thirsty as anything, I trial'd and error'd with the jets until I got to 115's, it had 125's, the cheap throwaway pods (non washable) and the 4-1 when I bought it :O:O

Since then Ive invested in some K&N's and the jets.

I just done a compresion test as its a little low, and I got 115, 95, 95, and 105Psi on the 4 cyls but it still hauls really well.

Ive got some blowby happening because since I cleaned the breather there is some smoke coming out of it now, but I still get 249Km just before I hit the reserve. (my tank is 16litres + 2 litre reserve), and the other day after reshimming the #1 inlet valve I managed to get it to lift the front wheel, low compression and all!

Comment

Working...
        X